Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Playing The Game And Fouling Out




I'm on the precipice of a moral dilemma. Well.. sort of. I'm dating.. I'm dating a lot. Not being introduced to someone new every week. Nothing like that. I'm dating a few people that I'm getting to know little by little, every time I spend and evening out.. or in.. with them. And I like it. It feels good. It feels sane, at least for me.

I'm a girl who never used to be able to separate love and sex. Or rather.. I couldn't separate the emotion from sex. I had the emotion. I felt the attachment. The guy didn't understand because to him it was just sex. Of course he liked me.. but he was also a guy.. driven by a natural sexual desire and that's simply all it was. Whereas for me.. I'm more an emotional creature. Sex can connect the emotion for me and make it stronger. Not all women are like that, but I would say it's more common with women than men.

As I get older, there are times I feel ready to settle down, fall in love, possibly start a family or get a couple of dogs, buy a house.. feel a real sense of belonging. And I had that feeling up until recently.. when the Cute Boy Gate was suddenly left wide open or Timing finally worked in my favor, which never happens, and I was being pursued. Often and by many. I know. I'm as surprised as you are because hi.. where were these people the rest of this year? When the last 9 or 10 months have been a frickin dating desert?! I ask you.. where? And now, there are choices and maybe that sounds wrong to some people.. tarting it up or not openly discussing who and how many with every single person because it hasn't come up, but I'm willing to be honest about whatever they want to know. They haven't exactly asked either.. and that tells me that a) they don't want to know.. or, more than likely, b) they're doing the exact same thing.

I've been told by male friends tho that once a guy finds out he has competition, the tables will turn on me. Men don't like knowing you have other possibilities. Also, if they ask you if you're seeing other people, they have to be prepared to answer the same question and I think that's unsettling for some of them since it could ultimately lead to a related conversation of wanting or not wanting something monogomous and/or *GASP* committed!

But tho I like to think I'm hip and open-minded.. I'm still me and I know I'll go back and forth between wanting to feel sexy and free to be with whomever I wish.. and maybe wanting just one person to get close to and brush my teeth with at night. It waivers when I start to have those tingly feelings in my stomach and there's one person so far this could maybe be happening with, but Timing, not being on my side EVER (Hi.. uh, yeah.. Timing? Can we talk about this bi-polar/love-hate thing you have with me? What did I ever do to you?!) will be keeping this person distanced emotionally from me to a degree for an undetermined amount of time. Not to mention, I just realized, that when he does want something monogamous, and he's said he will eventually because that's in his nature, that I thought for some reason, he was going to pick me. Not that he's ever given me any indication of that at all, like with actual words or something audible like that. Sigh.. I hate being a girl sometimes.

There's been no talk of commitments.. just disclosure - what to tell each other. What's my business and what isn't when it comes to talking about these other people we're seeing? I'm really open and if they want to know, all they need to do is ask, yet, he never does and well.. we all know I do because I feel it's necessary - just for my sanity, which at the beginning you remember I said this dating multiple people thing was helping me maintain. But um.. have we ever discussed how maybe it's me who's bi-polar? Ugh.

And when should I just accept whatever information he wants to provide? Because to me, the more info = the more secure I am because I know what's going on and I know where I stand. Not that I need to know extreme details, but as I'm writing this.. I think God.. it's not my business who he's seeing if I'm willing to be a part of something casual right now.. which means I might not be able to continue with this casual path for too long because I've simply grown too attached to this one person and it's not in my nature to be able to avoid jealousies nor do I have this amazing ability to share those I'm intimate with. So it's a matter of how patient I can be and how much I can protect myself and that just means limiting what I give of me, including my availability. And it also means I have to continue to date others and if someone else comes along who's pretty great.. then.. that might change things..

This one likes me. That I know for sure, but he's happy living things moment to moment right now.. and at the same time, actually wants to work on this communication issue we have, which is admirable and I appreciate, but I don't understand. Why would a guy want to work on a relationship that he can't see any further into but the present? Maybe that's more a question for Indy and his readers. Maybe I just don't understand the guy perspective and/or motivation clearly enough. Maybe I'm making it more complicated than it is.

Maybe I should get a hobby.

14 comments:

Booyah said...

Here's my issue with this whole thing and all of these boys. You, darling, have a ginormous capacity for love. Honestly. And with this great capacity for love, you give freely.

Now. I don't believe you can put that out into the universe without it coming back to you, in full, and then multiplied.

You deserve someone who can love you with the same unbridled affection and unabashed thrill. That's my bottom line.

I wish I could make this whole thing make more sense, but sadly, this is all I know.

Well, and also that I heart you very very much.

And you're pretty.

And an excellent roommate.

And you make tasty coffee.

For me.

I'm pretty schmoopy about you myself, actually.

Paul Barclay said...

Um, he wants to work on it because he actually really likes you. You think he's going to pick you because you really like him. It's probably as simple as that.

P said...

Roses surround us,

Ribbons swish around us!

Other horses smile at me,

But it is just MY horse and ME now!

We are soaring into space.

I tell my horse, “I never want to come down!”

"My Space Horse"
-- Shelby Cochran

Sug, I wanted to add a poem about ponies to make you laugh. This was the best I could find. Love you madly. All smiles this week, hon - it's birthday week.

xox

Miss Devylish said...

boo: You are pretty and also an excellent roomie.. and I heart you right back. Boys are still complicated tho. But thanks!

paul: Thanks.. that helped.

pix: You think you're funny.. but possibly, not so much. xoxo

Anonymous said...

We men folk are typically direct about our wants and desires. I would recommend giving less thought to what we say and focus more on what we do.

Trust your game (beauty, intelligence and of course, your over-powering SASS!). Be brave and make a decision about what you want...subject always to change! Ambiguity is an answer too.

Or you could just look at this:

http://www.travelwithachallenge.com/Images/Travel_Article_Library/Slovenia-Lipizzan-Horse-Vacation/Lipizzan-Horses-Running.jpg

Miss Devylish said...

oneday: Wild horses? Huh?

See, I think I'm supposed to listen to what a guy says, just not overanalyze it. And actions do speak louder than words, but it doesn't mean they're mutually exlusive things. And I'm looking at both trying to.. figure it out w/out overthinking it too much. But you have a good point of looking out for me. Decisions are less easy tho. Working on it! Ugh.

"the b" said...

All I have to say is: boys are damn complicated, but I suspect we're not so simple ourselves.

You have my sympathies - try not to let it go round your head so much. I reckon the more you think, the harder it is just to react.

Indiana said...

Ok...your male friends are 100% correct, once the guys know there is competition they will be less interested. See we know you are probably not seeing us alone, cause we are doing the same thing. We know we are being compared, and we know (deep down) that we may not win...but here's the kicker, if we don't win, and we are ok with that but only if we lose because you and I are wrong, not because some other chump put me in second place.

And as for the whole parallel/serial dating debate...I used to be serial, have for the last year done the parallel...and come toone conclusion...serial is much better.

Indiana said...

Oh and if he is willing to work on anything with you...it means he likes you and no matter what he says to the contrary really wants to see how far the two of you can take it.

Miss Devylish said...

the b: Thanks dear. See I don't think boys are that complicated. I now think I'm making it that way and somewhere I got expectations. I wish you could get a treatment for those or something!

indy: OK.. just one question tho - couldn't it be a point that one guy doesn't work because someone else does? So couldn't both those things apply in truth? Can guys not see it that way? Also, thanks for the last bit. You're a peach. That helped. xo

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! XXOO

Anonymous said...

I wish I could offer you some great advice and insight into the male side of thing, but I think we're all just figuring it out. The woman I'm dating now has me questioning every thing I thought I knew about myself and what I wanted from a relationship. I feel like I'm 40 going on 17.

Good luck and thanks for letting the rest of us in on your journey.

(Oh, and happy birthday to my favorite blogger.)

Miss Devylish said...

megan: Happy birthday to you! I'm a bad bad friend. I will kick myself for you, ok?

b3gl: Well that's good to know you're all just as confused as me. And thank you!! Favorite?! That just made my whole day!

kario said...

Yup, I'm with Paul. Guys don't need a longterm reason. They are much better about accepting things as they are right now, in this moment, than are we planning-type women. Go with it. Living in the moment is so much more rewarding (I've learned this, finally, at the ripe old age of 36). If it turns into something more, you've got a head start on it.

Love you!