Pages

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The Global Warming Of My Loins



I'm sure that got your attention..

*ahem*

Can you blame me? It's been HOT here.. um.. everywhere.. and 90 plus degrees does nothing to quench a healthy woman's libido when she's not getting any.. if you know what I mean.. and I think you do.. you're quick like that.

It's not like I'm not dating.. cuz I am. I'm finally in a good place where I feel good being single and having a good time with it. There's been some 'hanging out' and maybe even a little 'casual' dating, but then it falls by the wayside as we both end up realizing, oh yeah.. you're not working for me.. next! And this is what dating is for.. so that's fine with me.

And it's not like there aren't 84 1/2 zillion definitions of what casual or dating or hanging out actually IS. There are. The ex thought 'seeing each other' and 'dating' were two different things. Ok. Seriously.. where's the memo on that cuz I thought they were the same.. ?? Am I crazy? Ok.. nevermind that.. Am I wrong? Really??

But mostly.. I've been confused. This is not surprising to you who are my very special (and oh-so-attractive I might add, yes, you're welcome) regular readers. I do a bit of dating online - and there's more rejecting than actual dating, but whatever - but I continually get hit up by the same type of guy. Out of all the rejects - and I'm not boosting myself up here or anything - there are A LOT - one will shine a bit. I'll reply back, we chat over a few emails and after a week or maybe a little more, arrange for our first date, where everything goes well and at the end there are hugs all around. Second date goes just as well.. more questions, a bit deeper, longer conversations, chemistry developing if it hasn't engulfed us completely and some excitement building.. again, hugs goodbye. Ok.. fine.. but are you seeing a pattern here? No? Ok.. I'll just spell it out for you... THIRD DATE - again, goes WELL, people.. talk talk talk, smiles smiles smiles, chemistry alloverthefuckingplace.. aaaaaaaand wait for it.. wait for it.. ANOTHER HUG GOODBYE! Um.. excuse me... WTF??!

I did get an explanation from a particular boy recently when my curiosity got the better of me and I turned back around after I'd already left cuz the question of this hug ending was seriously plaguing me. Did I have bad breath? Was he not into me? Was it for religious reasons?! No.. actually, it was that he was needing 'air' from his last relationship that went quite awry some months before, which, in his defense, anyone would understand as it was especially awful.. but if 'air' is something you are searching for.. something of which you're in desperate need cuz for whatever reason you might be suffocating, my darling, darling boy - and please bear in mind that I'm saying this as nicely as I possibly can - by all means do enlighten me as to why you are WASTING MY FUCKING TIME. I mean.. let's be real here.. if I wanted hugs at the end of a third date, I'd hang out with one of my girlfriends.. not that I'm suddenly only thinking with my lower extremities and needing a horizontal hula lesson (if you're picking up what I'm putting down - and again, I think you might be..), but if you've had a good time and we seem to like each other, WHATTHEFUCK is wrong with a kiss? I'll tell you.. NOTHING!

You know.. it's a wonder there are any women left.. cuz the logic of men and the way they justify their behavior at times is enough to drive us all over the edge.. wouldn't you agree, ladies?

Ok.. my apologies.. this post isn't meant to bash men entirely.. just, you know.. knock them around a little maybe.. no? Ok.. no men bashing here at all.. geez. But I think most men are just like most women.. we all want the same thing, generally speaking.. and you just get something started and you're put off for a trip or just being busy.. or they actually say they fell asleep before they could call you like they said they would.. cuz you know that makes a girl feel special.

I'm just tired of excuses. Aren't you? I'll put it this way - cuz I think it's so simple a 6-year-old could understand it:

Say what you WANT, MEAN what you say, and SHOW me how much.

Really.. is it that hard?

Now.. a few extra things to remember that surround that basic lesson:

1. Do not hit me up if you've just ended a relationship, I work with you, you are under 28, or you live out of state - a girl has her limits, people (unless of course you are super hot.. then there are exceptions.. ok ok.. kidding.. ok, only sorta..no really, totally kidding.. mostly.)

2. My time is as valuable as yours, thank you.

3. If your week is filling up, you can assume mine is too, therefore, maybe an advance request for a date would be a particularly brilliant idea and not 3pm the same day you suddenly find yourself free, especially if this is for a first date.

4. Do spellcheck your emails and please refrain from too much gangsta/ebonics lingo (unless you're LL Cool J, Usher, or Justin Timberlake and then that's totally ok and, in fact, maybe hot).

5. Before asking if you can reschedule, see rule #2 and possibly, rethink that..

6. Ask questions - something more than, 'Do you want another beer,' preferably if I've been initiating all of them cuz you've been sitting there like a lump or only talking about yourself non-stop (ok - this isn't really fair.. I've only had a couple of dates ever go this way - HOWEVER, it's still a good thing to keep in mind, boys.).

7. Be polite, be real and genuine, be courteous, kind.. and above all, honest.

Well, I'm sure some of you have a few general dating guidelines, deal breakers, or requests you wish others of the opposite sex could adhere to so please.. share as I'm going home now to my most dedicated and adoring fan whose love I never, ever doubt - my cat, Emma.

Unsatisfyingly and oh-so-frustratedly yours,

Miss D.

20 comments:

chindi said...

I can tell you that when dating I find I don't want to enter that physical state of affairs right away. No one wants a relationship to start out hot and heavy and then fizzle later when all of a sudden a week or 2 or 3 later, you realize you have nothing really in common except some lust. Plus I guess I was always a little old fashioned. I do the door thing, sometimes the chair thing (depending on where we eat dinner) and will always find a way to pay. Sometimes we may really like someone and our reluctance to move into the physical realm may be because we want to keep liking that someone and not spoil it with lust.

Indiana said...

I think the thing I find most difficult in dating is that people basically lie about where they are...

I am sick of woman telling me that she is at a place in her life that she is ready to date "forever"/seriously, then waste 6 months or more of my life before telling me "she might not be ready to date anyone (meaning me)"...no wonder guys give up and just move from one meaningless bonkfest to the next.

Where are all the great girls hiding, and where do you find them?

Miss Devylish said...

doug: I agree w/ you mostly.. but a kiss isn't necessarily going to move towards rampant, naked lust if it's meant as an innocent closing to a good time. And honestly, if you're gonna wait for 4 weeks to kiss a girl, I'm gonna bet she's gonna get tired of waiting. I would.. you can only wait so long..

indiana: Yup.. they do. People suck. And they can't tell the truth. I'm fine w/ hearing they're just not feeling it as I've said the same thing.. not after 6 months tho! That's just wrong. But I've certainly had my time wasted for a few weeks.. been told I was everything they ever wanted.. and then.. oh yeah.. they were moving.. out of state. Grr...

I would also suggest that possibly all the great women are hanging out w/ all the great men I can't seem to find.. but what do I know?

kalebammer: I know.. I do the same damn thing. Oh.. he's cute.. and oooh look, he can dance.. hm.. and he has some style too.. nice.. oh. And there's his supercute girlfriend. Damn.

Indiana said...

The great girls are hanging out with the great guys...but I am all alone...that would mean...I'm not... ~grin~

And I have had two move countries ~LOL~ certainly takes a toll on the ego...lucky I am developing thick skin.

Cameltrooper said...

The honest part is a tricky one. I find that when you start dating someone you rarely get the honest version of themselves. Many people seem to project an alter-ego, if you will, of themselves. Someone that I think they want the other person to see. Then after a while, maybe months or so, as the guard is let down you begin to see the real person you were actually going out with. Could that be why a lot of relationships fail? Not sure if its totally true for the rest of you but its definitely something I've noticed from women I've dated in the past and something I've been guilty of myself.

lady miss marquise said...

Well written and well expressed! Not sure I could have put it so eloquently.

Granted, I can't get past the 2nd date and my love life currently involves snogging random men whose names I forget after far too many Jaeger bombs. (Granted, I do realise there is a problem here)

But I hear you on the no action jackson thing. Have just been at a really insanely boring training seminar and started daydreaming about the instructor. Bad LMM, baaaaaaaaaad!

Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Yeah, this is one I sorta don’t wanna comment on. I will say that recently a co-worker told me “I had enough this weekend (at home with the wife) and went out on my own. I just had to get out of the house.”

He knows I’ve been divorced for several years and I said, “I remember those days.”

And then I smiled.

Maybe I'll go so far as to ask someone for a date in another couple of years.

P said...

Sweets, remind me to plant a nice, big kiss on ya next time I see you. I've made the mental note. Who needs men? Well, us, but - you know...

And - I still don't believe in internet dating. Not 'cuz I think it's bad or I don't believe it exits, like Santa Claus. I just don't think it works. I mean obviously it gets Party A and Party B out on to the town for a specific purpose, which is a date...but I think it misses the more important part. Why do two people want to see each other, talk to each other and manage to go out alone? They see each other naturally in some random play - like some cosmic chess game puts them in proximity, then it's just brilliant happenstance and chemistry. Taking the eyes meeting in a croweded room out of the equation is criminal! Maybe I'm old-fashioned and romantic, but I think the basis of that is a lot stronger and it wastes a lot less time.
xo
P

Miss Devylish said...

Indi: I didn't say the great girls have good taste my dear or know what a great guy is. Take my experience to heart..

radiosilence: Yes, you're probably right there. I think we all do our best to put our best foot forward so to speak.. some of us are just better at hiding our issues than others. I don't think I have 'sides' per se and I try to reveal myself as much as possible at all times but so as not to scare anyone. :) At least for me, this is who I am.. and if you don't like it.. there's the door.. next!

LadyMiss: You and I are a lot alike in our experiences lately. And tho I have rules.. what I'm thinking about is breaking like 3 of them. ;)

Bloggy: Aww darlin.. I understand and I'm sorry.. one day.. it'll happen. I have hope!

Pix: You are sweet. I'll take that hug.. but let me ask you.. by crowded room.. you mean.. across the playa.. don't you? ;) I tease.. I tease! Don't hit me!

P said...

Yes - the only way to date is to run to a big tent in the desert, strip down to pasties & a grin, embrace the prehistoric fish dung dust storms, and the revel in the old fashioned romantic possibilities. :)

Ok, you got me, there *might* be other options...

Jake said...

Ha! "Ebonics" - I haven't heard that one in a while. Pretty funny as usual, but I'm sure the underlying truth behind the post is frustrating.

I don't know...I've seen pictures of you, and we've traded a few emails. I can't imagine a guy only wanting a goodnight hug.

Very puzzling. I hope you are able to find a way to deal with this "hot spell".

LĂ©onie said...

Oh God, it's all so bloody complicated.

I'm not sure where I stand on the whole idea that we create a false impression of ourselves initially and then, in the manner of a tacky magician, sweep off the facade to reveal what lies beneath: our true self. Everyone has multiple facets of their personality, everyone varies slightly depending upon whom they are spending time with. I'm not the same with my colleagues as I am with my friends outside work, and I'm not the same with my sisters as I am with my boyfriend. None of it is false, though. I have revealed more and more throughout the time I have been with my boyfriend, but I put that more down to learning to trust him than anything else.

That must be frustrating with the hugs, the temptation just to grab them and snog their face off must be awfully tempting...

kario said...

Sigh, I wish I could help you out here, but as an old married woman I just don't know any single guys. I can say that I met mine doing the most mundane things and we were friends first which I highly recommend. I know that's hard to come by, but it definitely makes the "happily ever after" part work a lot easier. Hang in there, sweetie!

"the b" said...

my BIG rule from now on is going to be:

DON'T act fantastically keen on the 1st date or meeting, get upset on the 2nd date when I, naturally a little more cautious and cynical, who likes to get to know people a little better, don't reciprocate quite as fervently though I am friendly and willing enough to see where things go, and then fail to call me.

Cos there are some (admittedly few) situations where it is really annoying to be proved that I was right all along.

"the b" said...

p.s.

this links to radio silences comment - but I DO show my real self quite early on and it is NOT working for me.

Lunar Brogue said...

Yes, 'air' is a much abused substitute for farting around. I know cos in the past (and, all right all right, recently) I've blown 'air' that with the aid of UV catalysis (i.e. bad chemistry) has transformed into a noxious gen X gas called 'commitment issues'. Anyway, you made me laugh; but I must finish with this: as a self-respecting, red-blooded, hyphenated-adjective man, I have no choice - going all the way back to the chimps - but to stubbornly ignore all of your advice.

Miss Devylish said...

Pix: Thanks for seeing my point.. tho I'm not saying love can't bloom while you're chasing the van spraying out the water for the morning shower for all the desert folk.. but I think I'll stick to the bars. ;)

Jake: Believe it mister.. it's true.. but I'm certainly trying to deal..

LĂ©onie: I'm sure you're right.. some people are a little different based on the relationship that's established..and that's why it's important to be patient.. but you know, sometimes a good smack on the lips makes it known if the person is even worth another date. Know what I mean? And besides, you have a boy to snog.. I'll live vicariously thru you dear!

the b: I know what you mean.. I've had my share that way too.. sometimes you're damned either way. I still think there's hope tho.. enough for all of us. Hang in there!

lunar brogue: Well, that's your choice my boy.. and you'll definitely find women who won't mind that.. but they might realize one day, there's someone who will treat them better. Just an fyi.. I mean.. that's what we're all looking for, right? So, only treat them as well as you'd like to be treated and it could get you much farther..

Lunar Brogue said...

Sorry I misread you. I thought you were being a bit tongue-in-cheek with that post, so I responded in kind. I'll get back to being a serious snag now ...

Anonymous said...

Girl, I can (sort of) relate, after being away from my man for 9 months. There was definitely a reason I came home the day before the kids did :)

scott said...

Wow!! And I was just coming off a relationship. too bad. lol