Pages

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Won't You Be My Neighbor II

I've been walking around my neighborhood quite often these last few evenings and have been breathing it all in. July seems to have arrived very quickly tho the dregs of pre-spring were rather dreadful and bitter for a few specific reasons, I've found myself smackdab in the midst of a mostly lovely summer and I hardly recognized it'd arrived so soon.

I walk all over the Queen Anne hills and have yet to cement my route cuz I keep looking for challenging paths and another new street to discover. There are so many darling porches just aching for a swing or an old table by which to dine on homemade pancakes during a lazy Sunday morning, flowers scattered here and there and arranged with clever landscaping that strike me as I walk by - lilacs, something that smells similar to earl grey tea, roses, hydrangeas, lavendar, grass.. ahh.. I love the smell of freshly mowed grass.. nothing says summer is here as boldly in my opinion.

There are those out walking their little dogs, the random whoorish kitty rolling all over the sidewalk just dying for a rub on her belly, the family out having a mini barbeque on their front steps or the gentleman wearing the bolero hat and playing something Spanish sounding on his acoustic guitar. Toys scattered in fenced yards give away the children at play and their parents who care less about appearances and more about fun. Front doors are left wide open for the occasional breeze that wanders in meekly like a stranger looking for a bit of a handout and wanders away to test its luck next door and on down the street.

Joggers spurn the sidewalk and run down the middle of the quiet side streets, cyclers pant for dear life in their racing spandex - and I feel sorry for both sets. I'm walking fast, but I have time to absorb my surroundings and make mental notes to come back for longer visits for various reasons: there's a newly discovered taco joint that might have dinner-time potential, a girly gifty store with earrings and ribbons perfect for Saturday afternoon window shopping, a decadent bakery when it's treat time, a sexy salon, and a divey neighborhood bar that comes equipped complete with divey neighbors.. just for a start.

I think Queen Anne is my favorite district so far in which I've lived in Seattle - and having been here 10 years now, I've been around, baby. Ballard is a little far away and you can't walk anywhere, tho the downtown area has shaped up; Capital Hill has its edgy and bustling life bursting around it, but it can give you the creeps when someone semi-follows you back to your apartment (which happened once) and in the summer, when you have your window open for a bit of air during the night, you're more than likely going to be assaulted with quite the sexual noises orchestra from all the other open apartment complex windows; Madison Park has 2 ways to go back and forth and for one of the most affluent areas of the city, they sure spend a lot of the time driving around - it's just constant traffic; The top of Fremont had potential, but it was too close to 99, one of the main thoroughfares to and from downtown and not close enough to anything else worth moving my feet towards; North Seattle was near the mall, I-5 and 99, cheap rent and a nice walk to Greenlake, but there were no sidewalks and even tho I was always near a good sale at Nordstrom's, there wasn't anything original nearby that sparkled.

Queen Anne stands tall - literally one of the steepest hills in this city I believe - like the proud girl she is - residential and homey right in the middle of the city-ness where I could walk to any number of concerts and events at Key Arena, take a short elevator ride to the top of the Space Needle or simply just admire the view of Mt. Rainier and Puget Sound.

I love this city tho I've considered leaving it a time or two.. the weather can be depressing and wear on a soul that may need a bit more light therapy than Seattle can offer, but this is a truly beautiful summer season so far and I really can't complain. Come on over for a visit. I'll make the hummus if you'll man the barbeque, ok?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

loving your attention to details and appreciation for the little things.

Pomgirl said...

I'm on my way. See you soon!

Px

P said...

You live in a great neighborhood! Kinda sucks for transport when it's icy in the winter though...but, wait, I think global warming has taken car of that. I remember being used as dead wait in the back of a porshe as a child to get up Queen Anne hill. (I was a chunky child...)

selling my soul said...

I love those hoods that straddle the urban lifestyle and the suburban communal aura. Anywho, its kinda the same down by where I currently exist, I have been seeing alot of hipsters lately which can only mean I'll be able to afford it for just so long.

Miss Devylish said...

choleric: Being w/ such little stature, trust me dear, I always appreciate the little things. :)

pom: Whoopee! Bring Oscar! He and Em will have to meet!

pix: I will not hear of your so-called 'dead weight' darlin'. But if I can't get down the hill to work.. would that be a tragedy? Hmm..

t: It's the same here and why I scavanged for an affordable (and roommated) apartment. Sigh.. one day a house in the city - but you know, have to find the sugardaddy store first.

Jake said...

Very nice prose MD.

My Dad lives in Port Townsend. Ever make the trip over? It's kind of a quaint little place.

(Ha! The word verification came up "ELJEW". Sounds like what they call the Rabbi in Tijuana!)

Miss Devylish said...

Jake: I have been to Port Townsend and yes it's very cute.

I know - my last comment on LadyMiss' blog today, I got a verification of 'wohpms' and I thought.. how appropriate! :) Cracks me up!

Anonymous said...

http://www.chol-eric.com/?p=156

I like how I screw up the easy 5 letter ones and get a 12 letter one next and its full of zv and xs.

Anonymous said...

You're making hummus?? Oh, I'm THERE.

And, I'm HERE! DYING to hear from you!!!

anywherebutTX said...

OK... I wrote a post about my town and it was horribly depressing.... and then I come over to your page and am assaulted with all the wonderful things that your neighborhood has to offer.... Once again, I'm jealous...

Unknown said...

Will I need any special clothes? I've got sunglasses but that's about it...

Miss Devylish said...

choleric: I always mess up the v's and u's.. grr!

Treena: Oh girrrl.. you don't even know the half of it. Why do you think I call it Rockstar Hummus? Cuz it ROCKS! Call you tonight! Hopefully. Or tomorrow. Soon either way!

Mandy: I'm telling you honey, come on up and show us what it's like to be a real Texan. :)

Mr. Oscar: Oh no! Not at all. It's a little breezier here than Australia, but it's summer here, so you should be fine. We have a big back yard to wander around in tho Emma lazes mostly in the house. I have plenty of treats and little fake mice to bat around - and even a big kitty tree to climb (that Emma barely uses). If you have any special requests, I'm happy to oblige!

Anonymous said...

How HORRIBLE that I missed your call! I was having dinner with my sis (the most fabulous pizza ever, and beer!) and by the time we got done you were off doing your other things...will call you tomorrow!!!!

Miss Devylish said...

Treen: You aren't horrible.. or even horrible in all caps! Remember, being busy w/ family is what ppl do here in civilian life.. or have you forgotten? We'll catch up tomorrow! Yay! Hugs to all the Treena fam!