Pages

Friday, April 06, 2007

Second Level Of Hell Much More Comfortable Than Eighth

The good news is that the sun is out and it's 70 degrees in Seattle. Other Seattlites completely understand the absolutely GLORIOUS feeling this creates within each of us who live here. It's such a welcome relief. My head seems so much more uncluttered with life and work issues because I can just sit in the sun and breathe in the smell of spring. Ahhhh..

I walked around my neighborhood the other evening after work. It had been a dreadful day full of stress and uncomfortable phone calls, emails that had gone unanswered that seemed urgent to me, but not so to others, and realizing there's only so much, and that's not much at all, that I can control within the office and if others don't care, neither should I.

So my walk started out sort of tense as I was pushing myself up the first steep hill and huffing and puffing and getting it all out, feeling the exertion it took and the pounding of my heart corresponding. And I did that a couple more times, tho it started to become more a rhythm and less a forceful motion and, as I walked more even road, I noticed my mood aligning with it, my breathing calmer, my forehead less wrinkled. The day's worries finally started to ebb away and my head was clearer.

After the walk, I met up with Pixie, who'd just returned from an amazing honeymoon (see pictures on her site), and we caught up on her trip and then this head-clearing that I'd done over a couple of rum and cokes and amaretto sours.

Of course there are a lot of things I feel I'm needing in life, but a partner and a career I love, both of which should love me right back, are the big ones. Since any efforts extended towards the more masculine sex seem to be backfiring lately, I thought I'd put that aside for a while and try my hand at oh.. figuring out what I want to be when I grow up.

Like I discussed with Pixie as well as with Ironika and a few others, I think I'll need to go back to school because the idea that stands out the most is to get into counseling.. all psychologist like - yes, that's the official term. Acting and theatre used to be a passion of mine and God knows I'm an attention whore at heart, but I think if I haven't really felt that drive to pursue it as hard as one really should to succeed in that business, I don't think I ever will. Honestly, I'm not that great anyway and it's not like I don't think I could do fine.. but I want to be more than fine. Fine is boring. I want to find something in which I can really excel and.. you know.. shine. I want to be shiny!

So that is the good news. Now there's like.. work to do. Money to go and find.. employment to coordinate. What school do I pick? What type of counseling do I get into? Do I look at the UW or go to Seattle Community? Do I take classes at night or try to find enough money to support myself completely without a job so I can actually focus on my education and don't run myself into the ground working and schooling and have No Life Whatsoever?! I mean.. phew.. lots to think about and get going on.. because I could actually start all this in the fall. People! That's only TWO SEASONS AWAY!

It's pretty thrilling, isn't it? When I think about the day to day here and hitting this wall of burn out that I've been hitting over and over for weeks now.. I get really excited by the idea. Tho it could be some months away still, if I don't procrastinate like I'm used to doing, this could actually happen and there could be an end to this monotonous pressure and dead-end rut I'm currently in. I mean, HI.. I have Direction! I have Goals! And this is Something Real And Plausible And Not Terribly Crazy Sounding!

You know what? I think this is so awesome and the day so beautiful that I think I have to leave all you lovely people and go get ice cream. Yes. That's what I'm doing. I'm so not even kidding.

10 comments:

MommyHeadache said...

Good for you for taking the bull by the horns. I'm glad you're following your dream...I know you can do it.

Anonymous said...

That is the biggest challenge (at least for me) - figuring out what it is you want to do. And you've done that part already! So good for you! :)

kario said...

I am so proud of you, and excited for you! I've got to say, I think you're on the right path. A blogger friend of mine recently wrote that finding a partner who 'completes' you is BS. YOU complete you, the trick is to find someone whose path to their own completion is compatible with your own and who will support you on your path. You're on your way, sweetie, and I'm happy to help in any way I can! Love.

Anonymous said...

The more specific your dream is the easier it will be to pursue.

Going back to school to learn counseling? That can be a multitude of things. Different programs are better for pediatric, teen, adult, domestic, corporate, alternative medicine etc. There's a lot of good options there.

Its good to have goals.

Good luck.

Miss Devylish said...

emmak: Thanks sugar! That's sure nice to hear!

finn: Thanks! Yeah.. it's just gonna get harder now. Eesh..

kario: Oh you know I'll be asking you advice like every other day.. maybe you can help me look for grants and scholarships! Oh so fun! Not. :)

anonymous: Oh don't I know it.. now I just have to figure it out. If you have any suggestions, feel free to pass them on. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Couple of thoughts came to mind....

-You are already 'Corey Hart wearing his sunglasses at night' shiny!

-All of life's most important decisions should involve ice cream.

Rigmor said...

Good, i can feel spring just by reading your blog! You go have some ice cream...

and I think it would taste even better having just sorter out A Path. Congratulations.

Miss Devylish said...

one day: You know what I thought you said was one of the Corey's from the 80's. Corey Haim or the other one. They're both slimy as Lady Miss Marquise can attest to having recently licked one. As in ew. But now that I fully have regiestered what you said, ok.. phew. That was close! And thanks! I had ice cream again last night. hee!

rigmor: It sooooooo did!Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Such vicious attacks of 'the coreys"...Feldman and Haim were a brief 80s tour de force. Ah, the familiar tragedy of limited talent and too much coke. We hardly knew ye.

It's rare that I am able to tap into the THREE most famous 'Coreys' of my teenage years. Fyi...Corey is also my name as well. I find it ironic that Corey Hart is the only one with any remaining dignity. Who doesn't smile when they hear that song? As a musician would it make you happy or sad if your music is enjoyed almost exclusively for ironic reasons. I wonder if Huey Lewis might have some insight in this arena.

One last thought, the licking of any 'corey' should be discouraged under all circumstances.

Sorry, but this has turned into me blogging on your blog. As I am new to this world, please forgive me for such a transgression. I will refrain in the future.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, those goal thingies really do help. Need to get myself a few of those. . .