Pages

Sunday, December 09, 2007

The Universal Fear




When I was a little girl, I thought I was going to marry my brother. He was going to be a fireman and I was going to be a waitress. Big dreams, clearly. But it was what I knew. My family, my security. Why would I ever go away from them? Isn't that what everyone did?

As I got a little older, I, of course, came to realize that only very strange people found their brothers attractive and only stranger ones married them.. and not long after that, began the boy craziness I would rarely ever not feel.

The earliest I remember is in 2nd grade when Laura Gillette and I each shared the same boyfriend, Sean Dewey. He had a blonde bowl cut, very cute freckles all over his face, and put his arm around both of us during show and tell. I thought this was very cool at the time and I was very happy with our arrangement. I had doodled his name all over my backpack and I'm sure when I looked at him, there were cartoon hearts that fluttererd out of my batting eyes.

Tho Laura was a very pretty auburned-brunette with rosy cheeks, she was one of my best friends and I never ever thought to compare myself to her. I had dark brown hair, parted in the middle with strong cowlicks on either side of my forehead, was a little chubby, and since I sucked my thumb until I was probably four, I had very bucked front teeth. But I never didn't feel pretty. I was just me: a happy girl who liked her friends, school, reading and rainbows. That was good enough. Sean seemed to like us both equally and at that age, it was just a given you didn't spend much time with your boyfriend. It was just at school. I mean, forget about kissing. Ew. We just chased the boys on certain days and tickled them when they let us catch them.. and vice versa. That was the extent of those relationships in those days. It didn't get any deeper than that.

In fourth grade, Brenda became my best friend. She was a big-eyed, freckled, blonde, pretty, very thin and taller than me and our babysitters were only two houses away from each other. We couldn't be separated. We also both had a crush on the most popular boy in our class, Ryan Daly. Sandy brown hair and adorably cute, he got along with everyone and we both sort of admired him from afar. Well, until one day he sent Brenda a note. I don't remember much about what, if anything, happened between them, but I remember acutely how jealous I was. I tried to hide it and I think I did. I loved my friend to pieces and I could see how thrilled she was, but I think this was the first time I became aware of what I lacked. My insecurity was born.

Being a grown woman now, you would think at some point those insecurities would've been conquered and quieted - and a lot of them have. You would also think I would've had some more significant relationships that mattered by now, which is true. But I'm one of the rare (?) people who have never had a longer relationship than one year. I've never lived with anyone. Never been married. Never even come close. I've been in love a lot. Genuinely and for real. And I have been loved back just as fiercely. I certainly wouldn't be single if any of those had worked out, but since the longest one, a decade ago, these connections have amounted to less and less time before it takes the other party to decide it isn't working. There are still a few that stand out as important loves, who were passionate, learning experiences for me and they're still people I count as part of my life, but I can see now that all of them were stepping stones to getting where I am now and defining clearly what I want from a partner.

The two most significant ex-boyfriends helped shape my sense of self not because I was with them the longest, but because of the connection we had. And still to this day, it amazes me, knowing them now, how strongly I was pulled in their direction as if they were oxygen and I had been holding my breath my whole life.

Anthony was my second boyfriend here in Seattle. From the moment I met him in line at an audition, I knew he was bad for me. Bad in the way you know a chemistry is good, which made it difficult for the year-long boyfriend I already had. I saw this charming boy solely as a new friend whom I bonded with for a day while we stood in line for this insane cattle call and even talked about my boyfriend quite a bit so I thought that had been established. Knowing what I know now tho, I can see, in retrospect, Anthony saw that as a challenge.

We really clicked, but it was still just platonic for me. I remember soon after we met that we had one particular conversation over the phone where I told him straight up that I loved my boyfriend and wasn't leaving him for Anthony because I just couldn't see us together. And he sounded ok with that. He didn't bring it up again until we were spending more time together than a 'just friends' pair usually does. We talked for hours all the time.. in a way my boyfriend and I never did.. but I kept thinking I was having fun with a new friend.

Then one afternoon, we had a movie moment. You know.. the long gaze before someone is about to leave after spending time with you and you both feel the pull to kiss, but you don't. We talked about it later and I realized it'd only taken him two weeks to completely diminish my loyalty to my boyfriend, which astounded me for how passionately I'd previously sounded in my dedication to him. But during that conversation, Anthony probably manipulated the edge of the fence he knew I was on and he told me he thought I was worth fighting for.. and at that moment, I knew he could offer me something more than my current boyfriend's consistent jealousy and low self-esteem. For two months straight, we never slept apart and I'd never felt so close to someone.

Movie love is great, but ultimately, not long-lasting. Cumulatively, we only dated for about nine months and broke up twice over that year and a half we were trying to figure it out. Tho he helped me become so much more comfortable with myself and being apart of a relationship, he needed more affirmation than one girl could provide. God I was destroyed for months when it was finally over between us.

Tho it felt like an eternity before I let my heart heal from that, it probably wasn't long before I met Ali, a Canadian Iranian, who was a friend of a friend, roommate of someone I'd been casually dating in BC, and long story short, one New Year's Eve night, the timing was perfect and again, I had stars in my eyes.

Ali is still one of the loves of my life I feel. Even after eight years, I still melt at the sound of his voice over the phone. He still calls me his angel and I go completely weak at the knees. But since he lives in BC, it just wasn't realistic to keep love maintained no matter how much we wanted to. It was too hard and made weekends we spent together too pressure-filled to be perfect. But he made me feel beautiful and loved when he would kiss the palm of my hand and then put it to his cheek. And when he told me how my smiles - every one of them because they were all different - were magic, I would blush and smile more and he'd say, 'Yes, that one right there,' and I would feel like the luckiest girl in the world. How can you not love someone like that? I would cry on the way home after every weekend visit because it was so hard to leave him.

During our relationship, we both had some terrific tragedies happen around us that neither of us could've foreseen nor could we bandage very well from that distance. Disappointments and misunderstandings increased and soon we disintegrated. We've had many talks over the years since we've still remained friends, tried to get back together here and there, but one visit we settled it once and for all. We both acknowledged how much we had loved each other, learned from the other, but for both of us, tho the other was someone who'd always remain significant for us, we'd realized that love isn't always enough. You think that if you can get the timing right and you both feel the same way that it will contain you, nurture you, satisfy you.. but that's not always the case. It was an extremely valuable lesson to learn.

Since then, I've mistakenly loved others who haven't been able to return that feeling for whatever reason. Tho I felt that familiar pull to them, they figured out they didn't and probably wouldn't ever feel it for me. Again, timing is everything. Recognizing what you want and not settling is too. And tho I tried the casual thing again recently, I was denying what I really wanted.

When I wrote that last post, I admitted to myself that it's not only ok to want those things I wrote, but if you do and you're not getting them, you should be in a space where they're conducive to finding you and I wasn't. So after some talking, I decided to let Boris go because you can't force someone to give you what they aren't capable of providing and when they tell you what their limitations are, you should believe them.

Because I had to be honest that I fell pretty hard for Boris, I ended things with The Actor as well and find myself licking wounds and not in a place to date anyone right now. I didn't think it was fair to date someone just to avoid being lonely and I couldn't have been very engaged while thinking of someone else I had lost. And since Boris and I have been friends most of the year, it feels heavier because I miss our friendship and now it's going to be awkward and weird until we figure that out.

This is the part I hate about risking.. but you have to admit, risk is not preferential. You have just as much chance at being happy as you do breaking your own heart.. and I willingly take that risk all the time. I know.. I do it to myself, but if I didn't, I think I'd become so bitter I would shrivel up and die and I just can't do that to myself. I refuse to be afraid like that. I believe in hope.

The new year is only a few weeks away and it always reminds me to keep moving forward. I'm not perfect, but I'm happier now than I ever have been with my imperfections. I have my days, but overall, I think more positively. I think I'm getting closer to finding that partner who will take that leap with me because I'm getting better about defining what I'm being offered and knowing it's not going to be enough. Everyone wants love, but not everyone wants to admit it because it makes them vulnerable. Yeah, it's a lot scarier than your second grade crush, but when did we lose that spunk and become so cautious and hesitant? I'm going into this new year welcoming the unknown of opening up, hoping out loud, and asking the Universe for what I want because I'm done settling for less than that.

I'm not a kid anymore and I want love with a partner that doesn't require being shared with a third party. I want something mature and that continues to evolve and grow rather than stagnate and leave me with more questions than answers. I want a love that is fearless.. because there is no room for any other love that is less than that in my life. I want more. And finally, I know it's ok to ask for it.

13 comments:

P said...

Hola amiga...

Guess what my favourite reading is in Mexico? You! I had to throw down more pesos to actually finish reading the whole thing...my verbose favourite thing.

I think this is a supremely important post. Also, I`ll happily be your NYE date as necessary.

smells like hot dogs said...

Where to start on this one? I feel for you. This post pushes all my buttons that make me want to offer advice but I understand emotional purges like this blog are not always out there to attract advice but rather simply be an outlet.

You are really reaching out for some help I think. Reaching in a little bit too. I suspect the reaching in part is the most important for you (damn, sorry, giving advice and I don't even know you, sorry). :)

I wish you the best and have a good holiday!

Anonymous said...

Another thoughtful post.

I raise my glass of red wine to your next 'movie moment'. Love that phrase.

kario said...

You deserve to be loved. Purely, wholeheartedly, fiercely, and honestly. I am so glad that you feel like it's okay to ask for that. I hope you also feel as though it is not only okay, but downright mandatory to expect it and settle for nothing less.

I love you tons and know you will find someone who will cherish you. Until then, show 'em the door, sweetie!

Miss Devylish said...

pix: You be careful where you are sugar. I can't believe you are reading on your vacation. Silly silly thing. Take pictures so I can see them when you get back. Also, I may just need someone for NYE so thank you for the offer. Love you! xoxo

smells like: You must be a shrink, no? Yes, you're right that the purging is just me thinking out loud. That's sometimes the best way for me to work things out in my head regarding my mistakes and my strong moments. Also, I just don't hide much.. it's all pretty true as I can be. I'm sure I need some help.. but I'll get there, don't you think? God, I hope so! Good holiday wishes back to you too! :)

oneday: I'll see your glass of red wine and raise you another. ;) Thank you, as usual!

kario: Thanks for that sugar.. it helps to hear that. Love you to bits! xoxo

Anonymous said...

I love what you write. I know you would rather write about something else, but I am glad you are writing about your quest. You give me hope, make me feel a little less crazy and make me want to build a tree house and extend an invitation out to all the people who have figured out what they are looking for but haven't found it yet. Perhaps we'll listen to the Victrola and have tea or maybe just a puppet show, I don't know. Anyway, I hear where you are coming from because I'm there too and people like you are much more pleasant to listen to than some of my friends who tell me to "stop dreaming" and that "life doesn't work that way so just pick someone before you get too old". I simply refuse to believe in a world where I can't be happy being me and it is good to see that you have realized this for yourself as well. I have been stopping by your blog on and off since the burning man series and I am still amazed at the feeling and emotion that pours out of your writing. Sometimes I think that you have plucked some of it right out of my head, which is probably just a sign of a good author, but could also be that we are rowing the same boat. I'll show you around some time, the view is really amazing from the crow’s nest, or maybe show you the other ship I spend time on. It’s that boat where I want to spend the rest of my life doing something creative and make more than just a living doing it. Ahhh, so much ocean, so many fish…

Anonymous said...

Again, beautifully written. And you do have every right to ask for what you want--and get it. As you said in your previous post, it's tough to want something and have to wait until it arrives... Keep going strong :) and enjoy the holiday time!
~Sherry

Booyah said...

You are magical, did you know? Thank you for (once again) putting so much of yourself out there, for being so transparent and so honest.

You deserve everything you mentioned in your previous post, times 100.

Hearts and xoxo, always.

Miss Devylish said...

kevin: Thank you! I think a treehouse w/ a victrola and tea would be lovely. But I'm sad you have friends who tell you to stop dreaming. I think it's cheesy, but then again, I'm a cheesy kind of girl. My friends encourage my dreams.. but of course, would like to see me balance them w/ reality, but it doesn't mean all hope is lost. That's just silly. Here's to hoping high my dear!

sherry: Thank you, again. Hope you have a nice holiday too!

shine: Ditto back atcha.. xo

Cameltrooper said...

The man who will be lucky enough to land you will have the rest of the bachelors on this Earth shedding a tear that day.

I know we don't really know each other but I love coming here and reading your tales Miss Devylish. I imagine the unabashed honesty and heartfelt emotions you convey each and every post are only magnified more in person and will make one man grateful for the rest of his days that he was lucky enough to sang you.

Miss Devylish said...

radio: I didn't get a chance to comment when I rec'd this, but it made my whole day. Thank you for that!

chindi said...

wow

Anonymous said...

Hey Angel! It's me...Brenda. It was good to hear from you yesterday. It's been a loooong time! I have never been on someone's myspace page before so you'll have to excuse me if I don't do this whole thing right. :) I read the part of your blog about us when we were in grade school. It is amazing how differently two people can see the same incident. I remember the whole Ryan Daly thing and the note, but what you remember is not exactly what happened. Get ready, you'll laugh...I wrote Ryan a note asking him to "go with me" like the dorky grade schooler I was. He took it into the boys bathroom to read it and when he came out, he said he "already had a girlfriend". I was so embarrassed, but at least he didn't say something mean to me. But leave it to me to have a crush on the kid who turns out to be gay at our 10 year high school reunion! That is just too funny! I can't believe you were jealous of me. I mean, I was always jealous of you because everyone liked you and you weren't afraid to do anything. Me, I was afraid of my own shadow! I am thankful you were my friend back then and I was crushed when you moved away. I never really did have another close friend after you left. I think you were the only friend I had that accepted me for who I was. So for that, I thank you. I promise to send pictures of my boys as soon as I can weed through everything we have on our computer. Keep in touch and call the next time you're in town! Love ya--Brenda