Pages

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Snow Day!


A week before Christmas and I think it dumped about five inches of snow on us today. The temperature never got above 30 and for most of the day it's been between 25 and 29 degrees anyway. We're just not used to this. It's crazy!

My very first winter here - I think about 13 years ago now - it really snowed. Up to the car door handle. People were housebound for like nine days. We all got a teensy bit of cabin fever tho I'm sure the people who normally love snow had a great time. Some North Westerners like myself aren't all that fond of being cold. I know. It's like me not liking fish. I know.. I'm weird. Whatever.

The Boyfriend and I have been having a good day. I got up to go to work out of habit.. and when I got out of the shower, Boyfriend mumbled that I should look out the window, which even tho I'd heard it would snow in the middle of the night, hadn't checked. There was at least a couple inches that had fallen and it was snowing lightly but steadily. After trying to figure out if I should go into work and doing a little over the phone, it was determined with only two people out of our company actually made it in and that the office was going to close later in the afternoon. No sense of risking an accident especially since I just found out my two front tires are barely legal to be driving. Sort of forgot to rotate the tires in the last two years.. oops! So.. um.. NO WORK! YAY!

The first order of business today: Breakfast! Jake doesn't live far from the main thoroughfare of Capitol Hill so we walked the four blocks and gawked at all the people sledding and the businesses that didn't seem to be open and damn it was cold as the snow was really coming down.

After breakfast, we both got hair cuts and then did some window and grocery shopping since it seemed we weren't going anywhere far after we got home. Then we watched a bunch of Secret Millionaire episodes (have you SEEN this show??! AMAZING! You need a tissue EVERY TIME!), 'napped', then really napped.. ahem, he made chocolate bread - yum! - and these spicy sauteed brussel sprouts for lunch.. we've been random about our eating and doing things. I can't explain it. Hibernating I suppose and trying to keep the ADD boy from going batshit. He always has to be doing something.

Tonight is very exciting. We are continuing the baking trend now that his roommate, Nick, is home - after a slightly treacherous drive back from the eastside where he slowly slid into a telephone pole and then decided to park the car and walk the rest of the way home. Boyfriend is making dinner first, Iron Man is on the movie list for the boys since neither has seen it, and I'm going to make cranberry orange muffins (fat free!) while they do that. Nick is at this very moment putting on holiday music - ahh old Dean Martin.. I could just swoon right here.

I'm going to go help Boyfriend with dinner so I hope you are all settled in for the night and staying out of the snow and ice. Cuddle in with your loved ones, play some Scrabble, and drink some hot chocolate.. Mwah!

1 comment:

Daren said...

Ah it all sounds rather wonderful... if a bit chilly.

Have a great Christmas!

Daren
xxx