Pages

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Notes from Barcelona: Chapter 1 - Getting There


These will be unedited if I can do that.. and if they're any good because if they're not, there will probably be editing.. and because my handwriting completely sucks, I wrote sometimes in shortened hand and also mixed my tenses. I mean, let's be honest, we all knew my grammar wasn't perfect anyway considering how much of it I make up. So.

Friday, Sept. 25th:

First leg of trip to Barcelona - no idea the time, but wonder why the flight is still going and we're not in D.C. yet. Have to pee and on inside by window seat. Note to self: good idea on short flights like two hours - not so good on anything longer, especially after a full can of ginger ale. PS: Side note to Green Eyes - thanks for the ginger candy. Had one and in five minutes had no nausea from take off. Awesome! PPS: Candy says it's recommended for all kinds of activity and gives pictures of the following: boating, riding in a car, and flying - so for things like motion sickness. Next picture is someone holding a mic and another is running. Um.. seriously? You need Dramamine-like meds to mc or take a jog?! So confused. If you get that nauseous doing those things, you might want to take up different hobbies. Just saying.

Summary: United flight - on time. Me - barely. Security - ? Hellishly slow and long. Made the flight, but no time for magazine or coffee buying. Sigh. Tv/movie entertainment - divided. At first, good. Headphones in the front flap already. Yay for free headphones! Played an episode of Parks and Recreation, which was random and funny. Then the movie, Easy Virtue, which I wanted to see anyway. Decently entertaining. Love Colin Firth tho he's a little under-used. And then they went to reality tv.. which, ok fine. Go for it.. but maybe like Survivor or Amazing Race or something.. but this was a new one and had to be the worst one ever: Groomer Has It?! Dog groomers being put to the test just like Project Runway or Top Model - but you know.. WITH LIVE DOGS as victims canvases. What. The. Fuck. And honey, puh-lease dial up the drama.. good God. They make every challenge this personal thing based on a father/mother/lover with cancer/AIDS/cares too much (not in that order - and making the last one up) who died or drank themselves to death - and truly I kept the headphones off til near the end and it was just as INSANE as I thought. I mean, they live in a residence labeled The Dog House for chrissakes and Jai from Queer Eye is the host. Sweet, sweet boy, but when he has to send the loser home, it's 'So and So, you've been clipped.' Really? They couldn't think of anything better? It's sooo trying too hard and from Queer Eye, this was a reasonable promotion?!

I got sleepy after the movie and actually got a few winks plus a crick (?) in my neck to go with it. Putting jacket against window for pillow = no help and can't get back to sleep.

Yay! Prepping to land! Finally! First stop: Restroom. Second stop: Deodorant. I think nervousness that I wouldn't make it this morning got the best of me. Might as well spare my next neighbors on the longer leg to Copenhagen. And then later, turbulence. Hi - that's scary. Had a few minutes I thought of all those I loved, gruesome scenarios and whatnot - then it subsided. Phew!

End note: Nearing airport. No sign of any political buildings. Damn. Was hoping to see the Pentagon. The woman next to me said we came into the wrong airport for that. Poop.

***********************

Second flight: Onwards to Copenhagen - LOOOOONG! I couldn't figure out why I wasn't tired when they turned out the lights in the cabin. Uh.. helllooo?! For me it was only 7:30pm. SAS isn't too big on the friendly either. They pretend well, but they're airline soldiers for sure. I thought the steward was going to swipe the blanket right off of me if I didn't put it away before we landed. He was really gruff about it. Seriously? What's a blanket going to harm if I keep it on my lap? I'm not going to steal the germ-infested thing. And then the stewardess uprighted the seat FOR me because it wasn't quite all the way up when I thought it was. She didn't say anything and just did it for me like I was 12 and mentally disabled. Um.. rude much?

The movies improved and so did the food. Watched Wolverine, Star Trek (already seen and still fantastic), The Soloist - good - and then the Plane Camera channel! Supercool when above the clouds!

Sat next to a really nice guy going to play professional basketball in Estonia. Didn't seem super tall, but cool guy nonetheless.

I've eaten my nails down to nothing - hangnails everywhere because I couldn't bring my file or nail clippers. I'm looking a paler version than when I started this morning and by my time now, we'll take off at 11:20pm. It's 8:20am here. I feel like I want coffee, but my body feels really conflicty about that. Also, buzz kill: just saw a man with a baby get on the flight. Ugh. Never a good sign when you're on the last leg. I did get the first stamp in the passport at the Copenhagen airport and I smiled and brightly said thank you and the Passport Stamp Man couldn't care less. Whatever. I was happy.

Also also? The Copenhagen airport is soooo nice! I've never seen an airport with rich, dark brown hardwood flooring everywhere. So modern looking. Everything is so posh and looks like I just walked into a more upscale IKEA.

Lame part: Had to go thru security again. Since going thru security prior to getting on the international flight, what illegal items could you have picked up between arriving in Copenhagen and that 10 hour flight?

Annoying part: The cafes will take your euros or American cash, however, if you pay in cash, they'll give you crowns back in change. Is Scandinavia not part of the European union? Or is the Copenhagen airport some sort of transcontinental Purgatory? I saved myself the problem and paid with my debit card.

Best part: Got the bulk amount of euros for Spain there, which was the best idea ever that I thought of myself (thank you). It saved me the concern of doing it at a questionable and sketchy ATM anywhere in Barcelona where I was warned of pickpockets and riffraff of that nature. Yay me!

Now - off to Spain! Also? Shorter flight than I thought. BONUS! Two hours and 25 minutes.

***********************

Two hours in: Sooooooooooooooo beyond tired. And I think the captain misspoke. I don't think we're landing in 25 minutes. Ugh. Checked time. Home is now at 1:26am. I've been up for 21 hours straight and smell like it. My contacts are threatening mutiny.

No comments: