Pages

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving Break


I'm at the ranch with the whole family today. We're expecting quite a few people and some who were not expected as well. Since my step-dad passed away, one of his sons and his family have moved in with my mom and she has instant grandchildren and a house filled with noise and people she loves to fuss over. I'm glad they're here for her. It's weird to have new step-siblings and step-nieces and nephews - not that they're new exactly, but they live here now so they're more apart of the family than they ever were. It's strange realizing you're not the kid your mom dotes on completely anymore. And the fact they call her Grandma already when my brother and I haven't even procreated was a little surprising, but I'm happy Mom glows with a new motherly purpose. It suits her.

This year has been a roller coaster for me personally and I find at times I'm still struggling with finding my way through it, but the point is I haven't given up. I do have some friends who don't understand it completely and honestly, I don't either. For a few months, I really didn't recognize the person I was anymore and that isn't a place I want to go back to. I just hope as time passes, things continue to lighten and my perspective stays positive.

I have a lot to be grateful for. I've met a lot of new people this year who I count as good friends now. Some good friends I don't see as often, but when we do, it's like no time has passed and we pick up where we left off. At least one decided I didn't fit in her life anymore due to certain choices and that's to be expected once in a while. And the ones I see and talk to regularly have shown to be resilient with as much as I've leaned on them this year. I couldn't have made it thru some dark days without them.

I hope you all find your own moments of reflection today and the levity in your family. Mine is weird and crazy and crass. I brought two bottles of wine to get thru it all, but it's an experience and I'm glad I'm here. If your family gets to be too much, please feel free to come visit mine. There's plenty of room at the ranch. Just bring more wine.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments: