Pages

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Holiday Listing


Oh people.. have you noticed that the holiday madness has begun?! I've only witnessed a handful of jewelry commercials thus far, but already, I'm nauseaus not only from their jingles but the continuous pressure of their philosophy that you are simply not loved enough - ergo at all - UNLESS someone gives you diamonds! That, in turn, accompanies the other school of thought that you can't possibly prove your love for someone unless you buy them diamonds as well. And we aren't talking cubic zirconia my friends. No, no we are not.

Also, I was driving up Queen Anne hill Monday night and I saw not one, not two, but THREE fully decorated and lit CHRISTMAS TREES in windows! WTF? Do they not know the rule? Are they new?? I don't get it. It isn't even Thanksgiving yet! You just don't put out your tree til the day after and that's at the earliest. I mean.. of all the nerve.. skewing the whole established process. Clearly these people have too much time on their hands because I have a tree too! I do. You all saw it last year. It's tiny and silver and made of like.. aluminum or something cuz it bends and it's just wee, but I haven't put it out, which would take all of 6.3 seconds including decoration, because IT'S JUST WRONG.. and, well.. I have no time to do anything like that. I'm even behind on blogging and blog reading, which of course, is the more important of these tasks.. but STILL! THE OUTRAGE! THE TRAGEDY OF IT ALL!

So I am taking it one day at a time and not jumping to December 25th before the turkey's even carved this week. However, it's not like I'm not being realistic about it. I do know there are only three paychecks before Christmas, which means since I've not done any shopping ahead of time, that a little frugality will have to be employed - also, I just decided I'm giving my mother cash. She can't stick that in a closet for a year and never wear it, right? Or leave it in the envelope it came in and forget about it after it's left or lost in a drawer somewhere like any of the many gift certificates I've given her for spa treatments, manicures, etc. Oh no. Cash talks. Cash walks. It practically slaps you in the face with its screaming of 'I'm the best present EVER!'

I sort of wish everyone was like my grandmother tho. She's always telling us not to get her anything because she's old and will die soon. Um.. thanks Gram. That's.. cheery.

So because the holiday is approaching, I thought a list would be appropriate because honestly, I barely have time to pack and get going on this eternal drive south I have to do tonight. I also had a date Monday night after I went to the gym, which was vital to my plan of attempting to counteract all the eating and not moving that is also planned this weekend. Loren and I had a best friend belated birthday date where we ate all the best fish in the whole wide world so lovingly prepared at my friend, Dan's, restaurant, Matt's In The Market and since we never spend time together unless I force him to share birthday parties with me, we languished over decadent food and good conversations.

And here we are today, where I have to mentally prepare myself to spend Five. Whole. Days. with my family and all their little dogs.. and shopping at the crack-of-ass dawn the day after thru manic crowds of people buying unnecessary things, waving their credit cards like zombies.. Ok.. that might be a little bit fun, especially if I come back with a cute little sweater number or something for me. Seriously, baby needs a new turtleneck.

Ok.. ANYWAY. Listing.. Go!

* Boys boys and more boys. Liking a couple, trying not to fall for one specifically and hoping I can live in the moment a bit longer.. but egads, it's tough when you'd rather have one person all to yourself because it's certainly not unreasonable to think you deserve someone who knows what he wants and part of that is him wanting only you. I hate being that girl who's waiting. Pfffft. That's how I feel about that.

* Work has been stressful in uber amounts. Not enough people, not enough time, everything rushed. My boss is frustrating, change is hard, and I have no idea how these new positions are going to improve anything. No one believes it will. I guess we'll see come December 1st when the re-org hits. I'm bracing myself. I am braced.

* Do you know that Shine is the best baker on the planet? You probably don't. But I'm going to tell you. She made two loaves of banana bread last week and ohmygod. Seriously, best I've ever had. She, of course, thought it bland and in need of nutmeg. I denounced that idea right there, I did! I bet her baking skills alone could bring about world peace. I mean, really, how can you bomb a building when you're sitting there raving about baked goods? I ask you..

* I was just wondering.. what do you think Britney will be thankful for this year? That she was one of the only celebrities who didn't end up in jail? But just barely.

* I bet you can't guess how many movies I'm going to be forced to watch this weekend. I bet you can't.. so I'll help you. My guess is.. 73. This includes every animated feature by Disney and Pixar most likely. True story. The damn tv is on all the time at Mom's house and with all the family there and 85 kids and grandkids and someone else's kids it will be unavoidable. If I go blind by the end of this weekend, you'll know why.

* Cheese, wine and bread are pretty much my winter staples. Do you know these are fattening? This should be against the law. Who do I have to write? Who do I email? Is there a congressman or a senator? Maybe one who's preferably drunk and chewing on a bit of olive bread with brie on it? I'm just saying.

* Ok ok. I guess I should list what I'm thankful for, but I sort of did it on my birthday post: My friends (you all know who you are - and most don't read this blog anyway.. ahem), my family, a roof over my head, my cute kitty, the love I feel around me, the ability to give that love back freely, the perspective to keep seeing my mistakes and trying to prevent how I can stop making them in the first place, my fabulous new roomie, Shine and her dog, Moo, and um.. bread, wine and cheese! What? I'm thankful for them so very much! I really am!

I hope you all have a wonderful holiday weekend filled with family and friends and fantastic food. I will raise a spoonful of my cranberry sauce in toast to you all!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A spoonful of cranberry raised right back at you.

Anonymous said...

Re: The List

*Boys. Pfffft is better than Oops or Aiyeeee!

*Work. Seems like it’s always this way – and I work for myself. However, I do remember my ex saying the same thing, “I have no idea how these new positions are going to improve anything.”

*Shine. Oh, stop teasing. ;-)

*Britney. Year’s not over yet.

*Movies. Are all mothers like that?! It’s all Christmas tapes (no new-fangled DVDs for her) all the time like she’s some demented radio DJ.

*Cheese, wine and bread. How do the Italians do it? Whenever I’m in Italy they eat cheese, wine and bread with every meal and I rarely see a fat Italian. Even their saying for “Good as gold” (buono come il pane) literally translates to “Good as bread.”

Cranberry cheers!

kario said...

I promise not to feed you bread when you babysit for me. Or cheese. Wine, well, that's just a given over here. Hope you don't feel the pressure of the holidays over here. Maybe we should postpone our holiday celebrations until June or something to spread out your financial pain.

And as for those people who are far to eager to start decorating for Xmas? Try having a child with an early December birthday - she has absolutely forbidden us to put anything up before we have fully celebrated her special day. Good enough for me!

kario said...

By the way, you've been tagged. Since you never read my blog anymore, I thought I'd better tell you...
;-).

Miss Devylish said...

oneday: Thanks sugar! Hope yours was lovely. The cranberries were extra good this year.

kario: I think her idea is awesome. Also, I got 3 posts read and commented before Emma actually meowed me to come to bed. I've been so absent lately I think she misses me and she actually looks tired. So I will do more catching up. I promise!

Miss Devylish said...

zymurgy: Oops! Didn't mean to not see you there. Um.. you're funny! :)