Pages

Friday, August 05, 2005

Won't you be my neighbor?

Ahh..wilderness! This is my new neighborhood, Madison Park: the forest-in-the-city where scores of yuppies reside. Look it up. That's the definition. The arboretum is down the street and with it come the many soccer moms and their brood, the Microsofties, and the other avid sporty types who run, bike and hike thru the area. Then there is EVERYONE ELSE. Um, yeah, apparently this is like the most popular little get-away being that it's in the middle of the city as opposed to the other two parks, which are on opposing ends - Ballard and West Seattle. Those beaches - and I use that term loosely cuz beaches I know are CLEAN and BEIGE and SOFT rather than so charred from the many bonfires over time that it leaves your feet so black you look like you just washed in coal... not to mention they're strewn with broken glass and slivers of wood that your now APE-LOOKING FEET could injure themselves upon - are a pain to get to and, once there, it's difficult to find parking. And that's the ONLY thing there.. just the beach. Um.. hellooo.. bored now. Yeah, thanks.

So I love it here.. it's pretty damn cute. We've got cafes, a zillion little restaurants, shops, a couple of pubs, and of course, a beach. Ok, I really don't know if there's any sand. In fact, where there should be sand there's um.. grass.. but hey, that's ok cuz who likes sand everywhere? Not me.. nope! I LIKE the grassy beach. Much less cleaning to do afterwards. But clearly, the rest of Seattle likes it too. I should feel sorry for them since they're only temporarily getting away from their isolated/dreary/boring neghborhoods and here I am, lucky enough to be able to walk for a few minutes and I'm in the woods or near the water. So what if there's like a major vehicle thoroughfare running right in front of my house... whatever.. It's cool. I live in Madison Park. Pffffft.. so there!

Now all of us girls are finally moved in.. but you know.. don't think that means we're done with everything. Oh God no. There's recycling for ALL TIME still to be picked up, boxes of why-do-I-own-this? everywhere and trying to find a place to put them, cable or something like it still to be installed as well as a few things left for the property management to address like oh, ALL THE WINDOWS IN THE HOUSE. I was relieved earlier this week when they told me they were all being replaced! See? It pays to be pushy sometimes... it's still 3 weeks out, but hey, progress I tell you!

And we're all very different - Holly, Megan, Carrie and me. I'm trying not to be the mother hen, but as I get older, I'm becoming really obsessive-compulsive. They already leave out dirty silverware after a use, the empty box that contained their frozen dinner, etc.. and those things could start to wear on me, but I just have to remember that I maybe need to friggin relax. I mean of course I don't seem to be bothered by the fact my stuff is still lying about in the living room, dining room, and hallway. Why should that bother anyone? I know.. I'm terribly hypocritical here.. but don't forget, I'm still the one to get us new windows, ok?

The girls are super sweet and funny and responsible and nice and I think it's going to work out here for a while. Plus, they're hilarious when they're drunk cuz you know.. they're all of like 22. Ahh, reminds me of when I was their age.. and much, much more stupid.. but hey, memories!

So we've all had a little time with each other, just starting to get to know everyone's quirks and personalities. Holly and I actually spent an evening out together last week and she got to know mine. Every 5 min before we left I think I said, 'Gimme 5 more min and I'll be ready.' She finally stood at the door of the bathroom and just watched me til I became so damn uncomfortable I had to stop primping.. ok ok! God! Then, on the way to the gas station that's like a block or two from the house, this guy decides to drive his BMW right on top of me. Ohhh.. you know THAT started something. I tapped the brakes and he didn't back off.. tapped again, nada. Ok.. I pulled over right next to the gas station and this is our oh-so-friendly exchange:

Me: What the FUCK are you riding my ass for?!

Dumbass rich guy: You pulled out in front of me!

Me: Oh whatever dude! Get over yourself.. *I pull into gas station thinking that was a brilliant comeback on my part.. right..*

Dumbass rich guy: *pulls into second driveway of gas station and at an angle so I can't get past him*

Holly: *as I'm getting out of the car* Omg.. what are you going to do??

Me: Well, I have to get gas.. what's he gonna do? Yell at me to death? Please..
*to Dumbass rich guy* What do you want?

Dumbass rich guy: You cut me off!

Me: You know, if you don't leave us alone, I'm calling the police. This is harassment.

Dumbass rich guy: Oh call them. Go ahead.

Me: And what are you going to tell them? That you got mad that two little girls pulled out in front of your speeding BMW and you got upset cuz you didn't have time to slow down? That'd be a really interesting story... don't you think?

Dumbass rich guy: *Looking guilty* I wasn't speeding.

Me: *All self-righteous now* Really? Cuz you know it's 30 thru here and that should give you plenty of time to slow down to the legal 2 seconds of space you should've given me instead of riding my ass to make a point. I looked behind me and you were at the top of the hill. If you were going 30, you wouldn't have caught up to me at all.

Dumbass rich guy: But you pulled out in front of me!

Me: Yes, I think I got that part. Look, you look like you're very successful, you have a nice car, plenty of money.. I'm sure there are many things much bigger in life to be upset about than to be hassling me about how I cut you off for the millionth time, ok?

Dumbass rich guy: *starts to repeat himself again - non-interesting rambling*

Me: *cutting off Dumbass rich guy - apparently for the second time in a row* Ok buddy.. listen.. this is the problem. *holding right hand up vertically and to the side* And this is you - getting over the problem. *holding left hand up then jumping it over the right* I'm done with this bullshit.

I walk away to you know, pump the gas I sorta needed.

SO, that was Holly's first big impression of Angel - basically a very bitchy chihuahua when she gets riled.. Oh yeah, I'm not to be messed with. Uh-uh. I have many gay friends. I watch Will & Grace. This is where I get all my good lines so don't be fuckin' with me.. got it?

Me: *embarrassed and shaking like hell* Sorry Holly! That was a bit.. uh.. crazy.

Holly: *laughing* I just thought it was funny!

Great.. now I'm just the entertainment. Pefect!

Come one, come all to Madison Park where Miss D. will happily endure a rash of abuse just so you can see her fiesty reactions! She spits! She breathes fire! She banters condescendingly! You might never again see anything like this if you're smart enough never to drive with her!

Oh c'mon.. I don't bite.. til I know you better. Come on over... the water's fine!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy #$%* Batman! I bet you were shaking like a leaf. Good on ya! He needed someone to bring him down and I'm glad it was you. Just glad he didn't have a gun and like wasn't on his way back from his dealer...cuz he's on drugs! And yes that is our right back attya with a capital YOU Miss D. Be safe girl!

Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Hehe - poor dude didn't know what he was getting himself into.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Guys in BMWs are lame!