Pages

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Oh The Lure Of Watching Famous People

There is. A lure, that is. Don't you think? I mean, watching ordinary people is fine.. entertaining even, but once in a while, I want to see famous people doing various things like.. um.. acting maybe.. and making me laugh - that's a good one - and if they can sing too.. bonus!

Now.. going to jail is something altogether different, adding more shock and awe value than actual merriment, especially when there are tears and screaming and the viscious reality check that celebrity doesn't buy you a Get Out Of Jail Free card.. or rather, revokes said card when the press waves it around all over the news in your honor. Oops.

So we did a bunch of this watching of the famous people, or tried and failed in one case, and I'm here to relay all events that transpired.

Boz and I made our way to Neil's who was having a lovely little barbeque a week ago last Sunday afternoon. I had just finished attending Wendy's bridal shower on the hottest day of Almost-Summer so far and was full of vim and vigor (read: cake). And the day was gorgeous and food was being grilled and eaten and we were all chatting and there was a little awkwardness because we didn't really know anyone and everyone was keeping to their own mostly, but we couldn't think of anything else to do while it was so nice.. and then BOOM! Thunder and lightening and rain! And oh! I know! Let's go to a movie! Ok!

We saw Knocked Up and you should run, don't walk, to see this movie. Hilariously good times! Oh the fun and enjoyment! And Paul Rudd is frickin adorable.

Tuesday, The Jedi came into town and we met up with our friends, Kristen and Keith at The Rendezvous for some HBO-sponsored thing for the Flight Of The Conchords because we thought it might be a different thing to do.. noting the promised 'open bar' and 'New York-style catered bites' and the first episode of this comedy duo's show, tho laughs were secondary to.. the free food and drink, of course.. yay! But.. and you knew it was just too good to be true, didn't you.. we noticed something amiss when 'open bar' was actually defined as 'beer and wine only' and the actual screening itself became an occupied-to-capacity theatre when the two 12-year-old girls hosting the party couldn't get it together to bring people from the bar to the theatre like they said they would, so we realized people were moving and by the time we asked about it, it was too late. A 9pm showing was offered.. and thusly, scoffed at because hi.. we arrived on time and asked appropriate questions at how this was going to work.. and were still denied. But they felt so badly about it that they offered us t-shirts. Um.. yeah.. that'll do it, thanks. Not to mention that we waited for the amazingly catered food and were already wondering what exactly that was going to be and when we saw it was seriously only four different kinds of over-fried samosas, we all sort of nodded, left, and went to get Mexican food.

So, tho there were no celebrities, or even semi-celebrities, that night, Wednesday overshadowed the rest of the week by delivering us to fabulous seats at Key Arena to see The Police. Ohhh.. people.. God. I. Love. Sting. I do. I know, I know.. he's become incredibly too mellow for some of you.. and a little too jazzy for me.. but like that mattered. No, I say.. NO! It did not! Watching him smile and sing all my favorite Police songs FINALLY.. was absolutely thrilling! Did I almost get into a fight with the stoners who had to sit directly in front of us when they decided to light up? Well, ok.. yes.. but once we got them to knock that shit off (and they practically passed out after), nothing could shake the sheer joy I felt being there. I mean, yes, of course, Andy Summers looked like he was literally about to keel over and was hardly having a good time and yes, it took them all the way thru the first two songs, Message In A Bottle and Don't Stand So Close To Me to sound like they were in sync, but then again, I'd heard a lot of the popular songs were rearranged here and there so I justified the off-ness to my poor hearing, even tho I knew better, and sang every word with an ear-to-ear grin. Two encores later and a frickin GORGEOUS version of Every Breath You Take.. and I was so in heaven walking back to the car.

I do love Sting, but I'm no longer in love anymore cuz hi.. he is aging, tho rather well.. however, I should be thinking of someone closer to my own age, don't you think, which is why I do have a new crush on the band that opened, Fiction Plane. Could the lead singer, and bass player, fyi, be Sting's son, Joe Sumner? Um.. yeah.. and could he be sexier? Um.. no.. especially since he sounds so much like Sting it's kind of freaky at times. I love the Two Sisters single.. and tho they were panned by both of the local paper's reviewers here as unmemorable and boring, I thought they were pretty damn cool, but then as we all know, I have no taste and am completely distracted by cute, lead singers. I'm totally ok with that.

Now.. Crowded House is reuniting and will be here for Bumbershoot this year.. go on.. ask me.. WHO is on frickin Cloud 9? Oh.. you know the answer.

This week in pictures: Urban Golf 2007! June has barely started and is just going to keep getting better and better. You just wait.

1 comment:

kario said...

Dude! I'm exhausted just reading about all your exploits! Glad you're on cloud 9, although I must remind you of my husband's prediction that you will end up with a soulmate who is significantly older than you, so mayhap you ought not to give up your Sting crush so quickly....