Pages

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Sunny things

It's been a sufficient amount of time that's passed since I last wrote.. and nothing, truly, nothing substantial has happened to me. *Sigh* I know.. I can hardly believe it myself.. I've a feeling the only reason that's the case is because this is a holiday weekend and even drama needs a vacation. However, for some reason, the cold that's been lingering like a bad house guest didn't quite catch on to the notion of the beauty that is a 3 day weekend and decided to stick around and continue to plague me. I feel like the parts of me that are supposed to be made up mostly of water must have been replaced by snot. I've gone thru the evolution of tender sore throat to scratchy sore throat to total head cold symptoms of sniffling, sneezing, and headachy-ness, and now it seems the head cold symptoms have all been reunited with scratchy sore throat - like one of them was just out on a beer run or something, but hey, now they're all here! Party!

The good news is the downward spiral of being uncomfortably ill is not so fatal that I couldn't at least enjoy what turned out to be incredible weather on Friday and Saturday. We hit 90 on Thursday people.. and seriously, Seattle was stunned. People stood frozen in absolute shock that it could get this warm this early in the year here.. IT DOESN'T HAPPEN. It's widely known and just accepted that there are only two seasons here: Winter and August. And summer doesn't start til the day after the 4th of July - I'm not kidding.. would I kid about something like this?! For the 9 years I've lived here, that's truly the way it's happened. June isn't even considered part of summer. It's gloom and doom for the ETERNITY of winter that rolls into what the rest of the world calls spring and still feels pretty damn cold here thru June.. then BAM! It's 5th of July and God, Himself, is smiling on us in the likeness of 80 degrees and a slight, cool breeze.. Maybe it's the 4th's celebration of fireworks and explosions that actually scare Mother Nature - she knows we mean business as we've been denied the warmer weather already for so long we've become rabid for it. Not wanting to risk a nasty bite for which she'd have to seek medical treatment and a tetanus shot, she succumbs to our growling threats and lets the sun shine down.. This year, she didn't have to be coaxed it would seem - maybe that new neighbor, Global Warming, spiked her Ovaltine...

So when the heat continued thru Friday and Saturday, you could tell people, tho still in shock, were starting to get comfortable with this turn of events. My friend Pixie and I, on a mission to cheer her up from the recent break up of the night before between her and her live-in beau, found ourselves bikini-clad in a lovely spot on Greenlake, oiled up like female mud wrestlers and eating cherries. Ahh.. the life! Even my freckles didn't know what to do with themselves. Many came out of their obscure hiding places to rejoice. I, of course, welcomed them with much fanfare. They're cute.

In this literally sunny state of bliss I was now in, I decided, out of the blue, to reward myself with something new. So I cashed in my contracted time with my cell phone provider and voilĂ , I got myself a fancy new cell phone! Now, I know what you're all thinking.. why get a new one when I already had the old one..but honestly, it was cruel to keep the other alive. Really, I put it out of its misery and it didn't suffer at all. You can't hold on to the past and blah blah blah.. besides that.. ooh look at all the gadgets, the color screen, the camera, and downloadable ring tones that abound!! The old phone is quickly forgotten and buried in the old cell phone cemetery in my mind.. but really, the other made me sound like I was under water and quite loud - and really, an obnoxiously hyper girl who already yells every possibly thing she can rejoice about doesn't need to be any louder than she already is - and if she's got something to rejoice about, she certainly wants to be heard.. clearly. Causing her friends to go deaf and be unable to hear her altogether is just so NOT the goal..

I know I'm late in the game for catching on to these new compact phones and features. You can be quiet over there.. I know this. I'm not lying when I say the last one could've had a dual use as a weapon, but I'm never the first to set trends.. not with technology anyway. You haven't met me, but if you had, you'd understand..I fall down a lot too.. but I mean, I just got a dvd player this last Christmas. I'm slow, what can I say? Technology is a bit scary to me and I'm like the runt of the litter when it comes to keeping up with it. It's doubtful that will all change as I get older and can't keep up with the youngsters like I once did.. but hey, I can get a 50 cent ‛song' as one of my ringtones.. I could be hip.. I gots the 411 and mad style yo.. or at least I can sound like I might.. and yes, if I was any less black, I'd be clear.. I'm ok with that..

Tomorrow predicts to be in the 70's again and I think Greenlake and my bikini will be calling. I love that dirty feeling of Sunday not being the last day of the weekend. Just feels uber sexy like I just cheated on the work week with the pool boy... uh-huh...

1 comment:

Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Ooh, I wish I was a pool boy. You didn't happen to get photos of the bikini babes? :)