Pages

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Insert Smile Here _____.


I'm crabby. That's all there is to it. No tell-tale rhyme nor reason. Well, there is a reason - the monthly radical fluctuation of hormones that cause me to be depressed one minute and bitchy the next and oh-so-much fun to be around, if I don't say so myself.. but nothing's causing it per se. I mean, there's nothing wrong, but everything seems wrong and more than it rightfully should be cuz when you're feeling like this, as most women can relate to, the things that aren't wrong, become wrong, or at the very least, extremely irritating where no irritation may even exist. Irrational Irritation Syndrome. Or maybe Complex - better acronym - IIC (sounds like: ick). Awesome. I'm IIC'y. Nice to meet you.

In light of said annoyance that my own charming personality is creating today, I'm trying to pull myself out of it and force the happy to come out. I know it's there.. it's just.. um.. hiding. I think I can coax some smiling by finding some cool things to watch or read.. Here are my picks:

This site is a friend of Ironika's and her husband's. Besides being adorable, Cindy's in Antarctica and tho she doesn't post all the time, what she writes is usually lengthy and insightful, funny and quirky (like.. who knew they did marathons there?) and she always has great pictures up, some with the biggest penguins ever! Right in front of her even! But you have to see these videos she linked to within her Donuts of Misery post. This one is about the group she's driven to a spot where they dive to collect sea urchins. A friendly seal (sea lion?) tries to make friends with them.. and this one is a photographer's time-lapsed photography over the course of a year in and around McMurdo Station (where Cindy is) and Scott Base set to music. Absolutely stunning. And it makes me smile by the end, so yay!

And thanks to Ms. Duck, showing me the extra entertaining ways of John Mayer, however VH1 she and Irony both find him, I would agree with her that he's surprisingly a really funny writer as well. Seriously.. his latest post? Wtf is that about? Who else could write a coming out script for the most heterosexual doctor on Grey's Anatomy.. ? Apparently, yes, it's John. Random AND amusing. So many more points.

I'm not sure how I found this one the other day.. clicking around out of sheer boredom when I accidentally found [redacted], or Dan from New York, who is shockingly intelligent AND funny.. and not really hard to look at either. His posts about watching 24 or the Golden Globes cracked me up since Sailor was kind enough to indulge me that evening and sit thru the awards show til 10pm when I saw he was well glazed over. In his defense, he was pretty sick and couldn't really fight much.. and I um.. probably took advantage of the situation most likely by witholding the fact that there was a perfectly good guy's show with things blowing up on another channel. But why would I sabatoge myself when I can make fun of Sienna what's-her-name's dress and what the hell was going on with her Swiss-Miss hair?!

I love This American Life, on NPR, and over the weekend, while catching up on my podcasts, they did a story about things lost and found, which included the founders of foundmagazine.com. The site includes anything found: notes, poetry on napkins, love letters, etc. Click on the 'about' page for the first note that kicked them off. Best damn note ever. Sort of like Joe Apology or PostSecret with that voyeuristic feeling.. but you know.. different.

Also, if you haven't seen the link to the right, you should check out Overheard in New York cuz it's fucking hilarious. I would also deem Overheard In The Office and Overheard At The Beach equally amusing, which you can get to from the original site. Updated every hour it seems... so you could easily find 8 excuses a day for laughing, couldn't you? Let me know if you can't.. cuz I have at least that just off the top of my head. Always happy to help!

Once in a while.. this cracks me up.. but you have to watch the whole thing. Silly.

When I'm in need for lots and lots of laughing tho... my trusty tried and true is always Miss Doxie. Her archives are a kick in the pants and I never get tired of reading them. You probably all know her by now. I only stalk mention her all the damn time.. well.. cuz I'm sure some of you haven't read her.. and you really should. And tho it should feel wrong that one girl should be so funny all the time.. she still is. And she's nice too. She's emailed me before. AND been funny in her email. She's my friend. Ok.. it's not like we're tight or anything.. but she knows who I am and stuff. So there.

So what do you do to get yourself out of your crabbypants?

7 comments:

P said...

I loved the SwissMiss...!!! Without tv, I only saw the still images online. I guess it could have looked weird moving. It did make me hungry for chocolate pudding though...

I think Beyonce has the creepiest drag queen thing happening. She looks like Priscilla Queen of the Desert crossed with My Little Pony, with a side dose of Mariah Carey - just for that last kick of bad taste.

Ok - off to braid my hair around my head.

Dan said...

i auction myself off, only to fall back into crabby self when i barely go for more than the lowest bid on Beauty and the Geek.

Miss Devylish said...

Pix: Of course you would.. tho that girl.. CAN she dress herself? It's a wonder she gets out of the house! The dress was not good.. and the hair was worse. She should've been carrying a cup of hot chocolate. And I'll agree w/ you on Beyonce.. what is w/ her drag-queen makeup lately? Or maybe we're just seeing more of her and that's how she's always been? I dunno.. seriously.

dan: Aww.. c'mon now. It sounded like it's for a good cause, no? Stay strong!

Anonymous said...

when I have the crabbypants, I...hmm. I think I just stay crabby. And eat chocolate. Oh! And I read you!

kario said...

I have another latte or a cup of tea, or get rid of my kids and sit around with my cats.

Sorry you're feeling crabby, but I love you anyway, sweetie!

lady miss marquise said...

I haven't been able to see your site for over a week, but now I can and I can catch up and I feel better!

Hmmm, crabby pants? Well, I can tell you that that weird side of me that has just embraced running and snowboarding and licking Corey Feldman will tell you the best thing to do to get you out of a funk is not to move to Vancouver, and get drunk at a horrid club whilst filming a reality TV show... but to move to Vancouver, and learn to run along the seawall with an ipod glued to your eardrums. I may have ruined my already poor hearing but sometimes "Jesus Built my Hotrod" can make you happy.

But other than that? I read Little Red Boat and Dooce, because she makes me laugh.
And I dance. Around my flat. By myself.
Or I rent myself some good movies, turn the phone off and hibernate for a good few hours.

I hope you are feeling better soon, my lovely. Sending you big kisses...

x
(And oh, can I relate to the decomposition in your house? Um, yes. I can... I feel your pain)

Miss Devylish said...

Treens: That's funny.. cuz I read you too!

kario: I'm better.. just having moments. ;) Kiss my girls for me!

ladymiss: There are so many things you NEED to inform me about. WHAT reality tv show?? And hi.. WHAT decomposition? You have a rat? Or is that figurative??! Don't leave me hanging!