Pages

Thursday, February 08, 2007

And You Thought The Only Thing Exciting About February Was The Silent 'R'

I bet you were doing just fine today.. like me. Groovin' along to the iTunes, tho I couldn't tell you exactly what was playing in the background during the time I got the email, as I'm sure you received one shortly thereafter as well.. minding your own business, nose to the grindstone, as you do... doing your cute little job in your cute little shoes.. cuz hey, you have some style.. and right when you weren't expecting it - BAM! Anna Nicole Smith dies. DIES, people! You always knew the girl was a train wreck.. but still.. shocking and sad.. and I might add, that squirrely looking guy she married seems a little suspect.. don't you think? And you know this is already in talks for becoming a Lifetime Movie of the Week or a Fox news special. But I say let dear Anna rest in peace. After the life that girl has lived, she probably needs it..

Let's all take a deep breath.. good.. feel better? Now, go hug someone you love and be grateful that some people are bred for infamy.. and, even more so, that you are not one of them.

***************

This last week has been busy, but it's all been rather low-key. Not too much time spent with boys unless they are friends and I guess that's the way it probably should be right now.

I started the weekend by spending it with Kari and her family, where my nieces did nothing but entertain and once in a while, melt down, but that is the nature between a 4 and 7-year-old. All hyper and nonsensical goofiness one minute.. and the next it's absolute life-and-death tragedy where both are crying hysterically and time-outs are issued.. and Kari is such a great mom that she takes it all in stride. We eventually just looked at each other, smiled.. and took another sip from our wine glasses with a relaxing sigh following. At least she'll have some good blackmail material/comic relief for later years to come.

Saturday, my friend, Scott, who lives in Oakland, came thru town on his way back from his annual ski trip at Whistler and I met up with him, his dad and a couple other friends for dinner. We were all happy to see there were no injuries to speak of since they seem to be fairly accident-prone during these trips and many beers were consumed in celebration. I had a sincerely crappy glass of wine. After that, I stuck with gingerale and was mocked appropriately for the rest of the evening until we closed the place down.

After brunch the next morning, they hit a local brewpub that makes a cream ale Scott can't find anywhere else. They like the beer. Lightweight Me said, 'Um, think I'll pass,' and I went off to do errands. I had to pick up Boz (the ex.. you know, we're friends and all that - and that's the nickname he picked, which does nothing to disguise him from pretty much anyone who even barely knows him, but whatever..) from the airport around the time Scott and his dad would be arriving there to head out so all of us reconvened one last time at some over-priced bar and watched the Super Bowl for a bit.

And there we were.. Boz, back from a debaucherous weekend in Sin City looking like he'd been hit by a couple of diesel trucks, yet still in a drugged-but-happy state of tired, Scott, his dad, and me. A few minutes of chit-chat pass amidst back and forth watching of the game and the oh-so-not-impressive commercials inbetween, when who walks in but six or seven very cute, very suited guys about my age. In a few minutes, a couple more walk in, equally hot, also in suits. And it just kept getting better.. and better.. and at one point, I'm sure my mouth had to be picked up from the floor manually. What sort of plane were they about to catch? Was there a special Cute Boy Gate just for them? And how do I get on that plane??

A late arrival at a table nearby was clearly 'hooked' as Boz pointed out to me. He would very obviously wait for me to meet his gaze but I don't think I ever did, yet when someone is staring at you like that.. you can practically feel it and it was just a tad unnerving. I was possibly acting a bit like a school girl - scribbled my number on a napkin with no name just in case I chickened out and was giggling like a halfwit. Boz did his best to be supportive, even asking the guy where the game was being played so he could give me an in.. but the question was asked and answered and it didn't leave me much to go on. I thought maybe I could tell them we had a bet going for who they were and why they were all dressed in suits around 4:30pm for a Sunday evening flight. The guys were certain they were in sales and therefore, jackasses. I thought sports team of some sort, but basketball seemed to be out cuz really only one guy seemed above average height for that. They all seemed to be a little silver-spooned as well so I had no other idea but business guys.. and really.. who travels in a suit at that time of day during the Super Bowl?

Ultimately, I wussed out. Yes. I know, I know. But c'mon! A bar is a bad enough place to pick someone up.. but an airport bar? Hi.. they're GOING somewhere. AWAY FROM HERE. SOON. Boz and I already agreed there was no way they lived in Seattle cuz hi.. cute guys. Cute guys are in massively short supply here. Sorry - to be clear, cute STRAIGHT guys. The hot gay guys are coming out of the woodwork people. Seriously. It sucks if you're me and all the attractive men play for the other team. You don't get that many cute, straight guys in one place. Doesn't happen. I witnessed a Cute Guy Phenomenon and I'm telling you, it won't happen again in my lifetime.. unless I move.

So as halftime hit, they quickly bolted to get into the line for security and off went my divine-looking, blue-eyed admirer. Since Boz was fading and needed food, we said our goodbyes and walked right by the same security line SuitBoy was in. He about broke his neck to get a couple more looks from what Boz told me so I turned around very clearly and gave him a very flirty smile and a wave that he couldn't help but jump out of line to chase after me in order to retrieve my info, mumbling something about soul mates............. and yeah. I'm totally lying. I didn't run after him either. Sometimes they need to work for it.. and it's not my job to make it so easy for them. Au revoir, SuitBoy! Ok, maybe I'm kicking myself a little.. damn.

Now.. Boz and I are teamed up for our McLeod Residence project, which is to become members by proposing/pulling off some event or contributing something creative and daring and awesome that no one has thought of before - tho there was a simple suggestion of cupcakes from its founder, Buster, whom we've been totally harrassing emailing (which left me with cupcakes on the brain all dang day.. mmm.. cupcakes..). And I'm all for easy, but challenging will probably make me think - and that's what we're trying to do. Challenge ourselves and as a bonus, meet some charming and captivating people and have a damn good time doing it. More on that next week.

Til then, offer up a little prayer for dear Anna, won't you? And also, you should get going on your list of 43things, don't you think? C'mon.. I have to learn Spanish. Or ooh! Combine the two!

Espero que estes bien, querida..

4 comments:

kario said...

Loved the visit with you, girl! Sorry you missed an opportunity with cute suit boy, but he's probably from out of town anyway, and you don't need another long distance relationship, do you?

What's up with "Boz" as a nickname? Wasn't he the guy on Charlie's Angels?

MommyHeadache said...

I'm sad that you chickened out of chatting up that hottie. And realistically ....how would you have lived it down in the future having to tell everyone you met the love of your life at an airport bar?

Miss Devylish said...

kario: That's exactly what I was thinking.. but still.. when he would come to visit, who's saying it wouldn't have been fun.. ah well.

Yes.. I think that was the guy from Charlie's Angels. Now I'm never going to let him live that down. Awesome!

emmak: Well which is worse: meeting the love of your life at an airport bar.. or on an online dating site? It's gonna happen. I have to have a story ready I suppose. ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh..I totally would not make it into the McLeod Residence, if creativity is the in. I suppose it's a good thing I don't live in Seattle.