Pages

Monday, February 19, 2007

Things To Do In Seattle When You're Sick


See.. this is the time when I should be detailing my great weekend in Vancouver with Lady Miss Marquise and Loren and Chinese New Year and spying on Very Hot Guy In Underwear in the condo across the way.. but alas, ALAS I SAY.. I'm ill and my head is swimming in a fog of dizzy and tho I've drunk my weight in ginger ale, the nausea hangs on like a the rough and tough viral soldier it seems to be.

I avoided it for almost two seasons entirely. I was shocked as so many co-workers and friends fell victim to the various colds and flu attacks that held them hostage for 2-3 weeks at at time during the fall weather. When winter arrived.. I looked around and thought I must have some magic forcefield protecting me as everyone seemed plagued time and time again, but I kept on with the vitamins and Airborne and Emergen-C so as not to let anyone think I was being arrogant and simply asking to be struck down. Oh no.. I know better than to test Fate.

Then when I thought I'd just about reached the end of the maligned tunnel with spring nearing closer and the occasional sunny day providing the happy energy still with nary a scratch, thinking naively I'd escaped.. WHAM! Down for the count I went.. fading fast.. just a shadow of the healthy and hyper girl I used to be.. [cue sad and melodramatic music]

Ok ok.. I'm not dying.. nor do I even feel like that.. it's just.. yucky. And it's weird. This feels more like a hangover than the flu.. but you know.. without the inebriated, flirty, and fun potential of that kind of night. And the sick takes all my funny away tho the cat doesn't care cuz she never found me funny in the first place, but she loves the nappy company since I ditched work this afternoon for the horizontal alternative and woke up from my flu coma about 4 1/2 hours later. More sleep will be needed. Work tomorrow is in question. Blog updates seem imminent..

So I leave you with a small list of things I've been doing and which I highly recommend when you're under the weather.

* Snuggle with cat - if you are lacking one feline, look to borrow. If you are allergic, I'm sad for you.

* Research Kombucha after buying something that says 'G.T.'s Kombucha' to drink that promises amino acids and live cultures and other things you don't care to remember cuz you're so dizzy you wonder how you actually drove to the store, let alone are still able to stand and process thought.. and despite the nausea, you're still hungry so nice clerk-type girl said it's good for when you're sick tho it smells quite a bit like vinegar. Try to hold yourself back.

* Buy chicken soup, yummy pasta salad with kale, and cornbread muffin and stuff face in sickly daze once home.

* Snuggle more with cat and think about vegging in front of tv.

* Call cable company when you realize vegging in front of tv is not an option because the access card for the cable box is on the fritz and since they will take two days to get you a new one, you will miss Heroes and Studio 60 tonight.. and possibly even Lost on Wednesday. Take this fact in and realize you are too sick to be even remotely irritated. Make mental note to do it later.

* Remember that it's now officially The Year of the Pig. Your year.

* Remember reading that even tho this is 'your year', your Chinese horoscope said (roughly translated of course): 'Um.. yeah.. don't expect too much. Really not looking good for you this year. Tough break, kid.'

* Check out new Ok Go video and feel better for three minutes. Maybe watch it twice for a full six minutes total of better feeling. Laugh while you're at it, especially at the karate parts. Couldn't hurt.

* End night with cat snuggling and fall into happy dream of waking up sans dizzy and kicking this so-so year of the pig idea to the curb. I think you eat another cornbread muffin in there somewhere too.. mm..

14 comments:

Pomgirl said...

Oh, you poor thing. Hope you feel better soon! xxx

P.S. I always wear a scarf when I'm not feeling well - inside the house, in bed. It's especially good if you have a sore throat. Perhaps this is strange?

Miss Devylish said...

Pom: Oh thank you sweets.. that scarf idea is very good! I'll try that in the am while setting up the caffeine.

kario said...

Oh, sweetie! I wish I could just rush over there and mother you. You poor thing. I'm so glad you have Emma.

I hope you ditch work today, if only to pamper yourself the way I'd do it if I was there. Take care and drink lots of tea.

C.R. III said...

Sorry to hear you're laid low...hopefully you'll be on the mend soon! Your post freaked me out because I was having pretty much the exact same conversation with my wife yesterday about not having been sick in years. Ugh...Fate does have a way of doing that...

lady miss marquise said...

Oh lovely girl, sending you warm fuzzies. I'm still a bit off too, it was suggested my electrolytes are off kilter (cue "lights are on, but no one's home" quip!) but I hope that you start to feel better soon... and stay at home in your cozy bed snuggling Emma and thinking about cute boy in shorts across the road... x

Miss Devylish said...

kario: Yes.. at 7 I called in w/ the dizzy head and said no, I couldn't make it. There would be a very lacking of 'nice' to other ppl if I tried. My boss understood. :)

c.r.iii: Yes, it does and I used to get sick fairly often here. It's so frickin damp, but it'd been at least 8-9 months probably and I haven't had the flu in a few years I think. Guess my time was up. Damn.

ladymiss: Well, electrolytes can be cured w/ Gatorade usually. But nothing is working on the dizzy. I wish that part would go away and then I'd probably be fine. I'm worried about you tho - having it and still managing to work. You are a strong girl! Take care of you!

Indiana said...

Get well babes...sounds like you need someone to nurse you ~grin~

The Accidental Bitch said...

LOL the year of the pig is "your" year! That's funny.

Or... rude of me to laugh at. But I still think it's funny.

Miss Devylish said...

indi: Honey.. don't I know it..

tab: Yes we pigs are a funny lot.. but we are proud. I don't mind being a pig.. odd as we are, we're loyal, smart, and taste good w/ maple syrup. Mm!

Anonymous said...

awww..poor girl! The year of the pig will look up soon. Feel better, fellow piggie!

Malnurtured Snay said...

Couldn't you just go dancing in the rain? Doesn't it rain a lot?

Miss Devylish said...

Treenster: Thanks toots!

malnurtured snay: Welcome! I could go dancing in the rain and yes, it does rain a lot here. Um.. why would I be doing that? Just curious.

me said...

I think the cat is healing deal sealer here!
Feel better...

Miss Devylish said...

kittenpower: Yes she is.. even tho she's a big 'ol whiner.. but she gets that from me. ;) Thanks!