Pages

Thursday, February 01, 2007

At Least 43 Things, Maybe More

In light of the first day of the second month of the new year, I took a look around at my world to see how I felt the beginning of 2007 has gone so far. Hm.. not bad really.

I rang in the new year with Sailor. Unexpected affection is never a bad idea in my opinion and we've been hanging out for a month now. No drama, pretty easy and laid back, but he's busy and self-employed. His deadlines and irregular business hours have left us with not much time at all together for the last two weeks and because of that, our connection has found itself in need of some repair. Not the end of the world.. he's a sweet, good guy.. and an apology for being a jackass - his words, mind you - go a long way with me.

Enter Mackenzie, who defies needing an alias (Hey.. I offered him one. The best Irony could come up with was Ohio. Like.. where he's from. Eh. Sorry girl.. I need something.. more fitting..? He questioned why he needed one at all.. and I replied, 'Oh.. um.. I guess you don't. Huh.' So there that is.). As is my usual, he's a bit younger, but he's slightly more wounded than some, not that it's obvious really.. but in the bit of time we've started to get to know each other, I can see it in him. It's quiet, he's cautious.. I can appreciate that.. and we both really like music. It's a start.

This is dating.. obviously. Not polyamory or anything like that (tho I think.. technically, if you're going by the definition.. it is.. BUT for our purposes here, we are not, fyi.). I'm just.. living in the moment. Yes, that's it. And tho I know men usually really enjoy relationships with no labels and rules left unspoken, when you are the one requesting it to be that way, it makes them.. uncomfortable. They get this look about them that says they're wondering what you could possibly do with a second man - and if that's really all of them.. maybe there are more..?! How scandalous! Isn't one enough? But that's not what it's about.. at least not for me. It's just pacing the getting-to-know part.. and it's hard to explain, but I'm doing the best I can to be genuine and keep my intentions on the table for all involved. The biggest benefit is that this keeps me focusing on me.. and not wrapped around the life of one person I barely know. It's time to stop making the same mistakes and I can only hope my strategy pays off.

As for good deeds, I participated in Chili Clash 2007 by procuring close to $2000 in items to raffle and auction off in order to raise money for... no.. not leukemia.. and noooo not the next natual disaster.. BUT.. the Solo Performance Festival, in which my friend, Keith, will appear, at Theatre Off Jackson, and really, tho no one is dying nor am I saving anyone from dying in any way whatsoever at all.. it was a good enough cause as any. And there were 5 (FIVE!) kinds of chili competing for.. uh.. BEST chili! Or something. Didn't matter.. it was good. I may have had three bowls. But my POINT here.. and yes, I DO have one.. is it made me feel like I was a part of a community and reminded me of my theatre department days in college and the functional lunacy it actually takes to be a performing artist. It's something I truly admire and respect and tho the event didn't go as well as I'd hoped, apparently they raised more money than they thought they would anyway. So.. YAY!

Now, the next undertaking is trying to find time to focus on the elements of myself I need to improve. I feel like I'm in the midst of a Life Rut and I'm trying to find things that will motivate me to make some changes, however small, so that I feel like.. well.. life has some purpose and meaning, to be honest. I have ideas.. don't get me wrong.. I have great ideas, if I do say so myself, but it's putting them into action and sometimes, I just need a push in the right direction.

And then, accidentally, I found The McLeod Residence. Is this the answer to all my problems? Probably not. Is this the motivation I've been seeking? Not sure. Is it interesting tho? Definitely. Can I explain it further (note: again, using purely for YOUR benefit, Treenster!)?? Um.. THAT is a very good question. They're touting it as a lifestyle.. of sorts:

"We are trying to build something new for Seattle. Something that we can all belong to, taking advantage of all the things that we know are possible but which you wouldn't do if you had any sort of agenda other than living an extraordinary life. We're inventing a new lifestyle and want you to join us."

Uh.. hm.. do YOU get it? Isn't it so vague you want to find out more tho? I mean, it's intriguing, right? Yeah I want an extraordinary lifestyle! Who doesn't?! Sign me up!

Therefore, you can become a member for $50 a year or $200 for a lifetime. Hi! Such a deal! You get stuff with your membership too - don't think you don't. But go to their site and read up cuz if you pitch them a good enough idea, you don't have to pay. And then maybe hit me back and see if you can explain to me what the f they are talking about. I mean, I'm excited and all, but I'm still not sure why.

So clicking around on all the links in their site in an effort to figure out what these seemingly crazy and, at the same time, ingenious and fun, people are doing, I stumble upon 43Things. What the..?! A list! This is PERFECT! Now my goals can be visible on the world wide web and hey! Look! Other people want to do the same things! AND some of them who've already done what you are still trying to do are there to give you ideas and support and 'cheers!' Who couldn't use a cheer in their struggle to achieve on a daily basis?! Like that's a bad thing? Instant Motivation! I'm feeling it! I'm psyched! And uh.. if you didn't notice, one of my 43 things (ok.. as of yet, there's only 25. I'm still thinking! Sheesh.) is to stop procrastinating so that maybe I can mark off some of these babies this year. You can also work on 43places, 43people - where incidentally, I found completely by fate, our dear Pomgirl and promptly made her my Number-1-Want-To-Meet Person. Oh yes I did. Even above meeting Jon Stewart. That's saying something.

I feel like these are super tiny things.. right? I mean, they are.. but I'm jazzed and enthusiastic cuz.. ok.. the sun's been out for like Three Whole Days in a row! You don't understand what winter is like here until you've lived 3-4 months of straight dark-and-grey so you have no idea what it can cause one to do and think and feel.. but combine that with these brilliant, little discoveries and I feel rather renewed and inspired. Touched for the very first time even!

Maybe it's a little silly.. but I want to create, I want to help, I want to feel like I'm living. Not just feel it.. know it. And stop just going thru the motions.

Can't you hear the door to my extraordinary life opening now?? Excuse me.. I'm going to step inside and just take a look around.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn, chili is one of my favorite things, why do I always hear about these events after the fact??

Sounds like Spring arrived early for you! Isn't it a great feeling to look forward to the new and not fear changes? And to feel that everything is possible? Perhaps this is the little known Chinese "year of the Angel" :-)

ps.. Blogger is sooo buggy.. I am on my 4th word verification here...

Miss Devylish said...

artmonster: Sorry about missing the chili. There was some good stuff there. But yes, you know it's year of the boar.. that is the year I was born. So it literally is my year, which shouldn't suck, I don't think. But I'll have to check my chinese astrology. :)

WTF is wrong w/ Blogger? So many errors and when I type the letters correctly, I ALWAYS have to do it again.. like it wasn't good enough. I think Blogger needs some 43 things listing.. and one of them should be 'Fix Blogger' maybe. I mean, it's a thought.

kario said...

Hey, I'm psyched for you! Any new excitement (no matter how "small") is terrific and I am glad you're feeling renewed and invigorated right now. The sun definitely has something to do with it, and perhaps the bun-warmers in your new car?

You are an extraordinary person, you deserve to have extraordinary moments every day - go get 'em girl!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm on 43things too! One of my things is run a marathon. ha ha ha!

Anonymous said...

Check your mail, you. I think we not only were drunk and hungover at the same time last monday, but that we just commented and emailed at the same time just now. :) miss you!

"the b" said...

Hi, found your blog browsing from Lady Miss Marquise. Just wanted to say am SO with you on the dating more than one man at a time thing. It's so much more healthy. I did feel a little taken aback the other day though when chatting to an 18 year old who was slightly shocked by the idea. It made me feel rather old and cynical.

And while I'm here, am relieved to see that other people have that problem with the word verification thing too. I thought it was just me, being blind. I don't know why I was assuming that the thing must be infallible. Sometimes I can't even see the letters; what am I supposed to do then?

Miss Devylish said...

kario: I always know you think that. It's encouraging sugar. Thank you!

Treenster: Yay! That's exciting! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

And I know! Pinch/poke dude. Same brain, I swear! Miss you too!

b: Welcome! Yes, Blogger has been really buggy and lots of downtime too I've noticed. It's not you.. it's them, remember that. :)

18 yr olds are a tad too young for me, but even the 30-yr-olds are taken aback. I just kinda smirk cuz they don't like it when the shoe's on the other foot. Boys are funny.

Pomgirl said...

I feel honoured. If/when we meet up, I will be a lot less funny than Jon Stewart, but I will have more pretty handbags.

Kara said...

Oh a Life Rut. I'm in one of those myself.

*sighs loudly*

"the b" said...

no no - sorry, the 18 year old was a GIRL who was talking about dating in london, not a BOY I was chatting up! Aaaagh. Don't want to give myself a reputation. 23/24 is about my limit.