Pages

Monday, October 09, 2006

Glory Days

Tonight I walked into the gym's locker room to find 8 or 9 thin and tightly athletically-clothed girls running thru their dance routine in front of the mirrors. Again.. this was the locker room.. where I was changing.. and they were about a foot away from me and my transformation from office sex kitten to gym bunny. I was in my zone.. and then.. not. And then I.. uh.. just didn't know what to do.. with the snapping and clapping going on so NEAR MY HEAD.. It honestly just threw me and I finished changing as quickly as I could to get out of there.

I moved onto my workout - and the girls took over about a quarter of the bikes and elliptical machines, chatting vigorously at the same time, of course, like the teenagers they seemed to be. Again I thought.. strange.. cuz this gym never has 18 hot, underage girls within it ALL at the same time. It just doesn't happen. Were there cheerleading try-outs for the University of Washington going on? Or did one of the high school dance squads just join the gym? I mean, when you're already in your not-so-flattering sweats and a jog bra that completely immobilizes the decent rack you have, thank you very much, insecurities heighten watching the flurry of their movement.. swarming in various areas, shirts tied in knots at the back and pulled up just under the sternum revealing tan and lean torsos with low sweats actually pulled halfway down the ass on one showing nothing scandalous but her black shorts underneath - yet she still maintained that 'cooler than thou' attitude.

WTF?! Seriously.. did I walk into the right gym??

And there were SO many of them. When they were done with their cardio, they moved onto other spaces to continue practicing their moves.. around the machines I would've very much liked to have used except.. well.. they were dancing around it. Seriously. Not kidding. It was baffling. I was baffled.

I kept wondering what sort of hell I'd been transported to.. not to mention what real crime had I committed to be in a hell where that sort of youthful perfection is not only flaunted in front of my face.. but one that came with some pretty damn good choreography to emphasize it. I mean these girls were tiiiiiny. These were the girls that shop for size 00.. cuz 0 is just a little too big. You know what I mean? And it just felt.. uncomfortable.

I was instantly brought back to the days of high school and not fitting in, being on the outskirts of popularity, knowing people who were popular and kind of being friends with them, shared the same honors classes, sometimes actually invited to the same parties, but not quite as smart, pretty, or rich as they were.. and never feeling like I was good enough or totally accepted.

And then I just felt old. I'm turning 35 in less than a month people.. holy crap! No wonder I'm not dating. I mean, have you SEEN some of the examples of men at 35 in this city? They LOOK old! And yes, thank you, I know I don't look 35, not that I'm sure what that should look like cuz all MY friends look as young as me I think.. but I can't find a guy that looks as young, is around my age, knows what the hell he wants AND is not afraid to go after it. And then I thought, these girls are exactly why men have mid-life crises.. and women have affairs with younger men.. or whatever. It's that feeling of loss - never being able to go back, never again to be labeled as 'young' or 'younger'. Instead of hearing how you shouldn't rush and much time you have to find that Mr. Right, you start hearing, 'Well isn't it about time you settled on someone?'

I'll admit it - I was jealous for a bit. I was coveting their slender figures, their perfectly non-sweaty hair and even skin tones, and maybe even their girly camaradarie. And then, I walked by the front desk on the way downstairs to grab my things and go when I asked the girl behind the counter about the newest arrivals to the gym. Apparently the owner had recently contracted with the Seattle SuperSonics - and their entire dance team.

Suddenly I felt better.. you know why? They are just semi-grown-up cheerleaders.. that's it. Nothing super special.. not like hot, dancey doctors or sexy break-dancing child welfare workers or anything.. not that cheerleaders aren't necessary.. for.. life, I guess.. or its many sporting events - so great for them. I'm sure they're all very nice girls and they do their jobs well, blahblahblah. But it made me feel better cuz I'd already been one of them however long ago high school was and I was so into it and I thought, rather good at it. It was my way to be a part of something.. even if after I quit I made fun of myself with a group of other former cheerleaders our senior year in a talent show skit we danced poorly to on purpose to 'Oh Mickey' and won 2nd place. Oh hell yeah.. I rocked the school spirt.. and that skirt.

But you know what was the best reason I had to feel good about being a cheerleader? Have you any idea what was so fucking great about that? And get ready cuz you should pay attention to this one.. I mean, it's really good:

I was always on top.
Seriously. That's it. And that fact alone kicks so much teensy Sonic dancer ass.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Missy. You can also thank your lucky stars your name isn't (for real) "Misty".

And by the way, if you really want to squirm, check out that reality show on the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders that's on CMT.

Sure these girls look good (ish- seriously, who wears the 'smokey eye' to the gym?). But you know what? We can eat cupcakes. Anytime we feel like it.

Take that, bitches.

Miss Devylish said...

Duckie: Yes, I like to say I'm hot AND I get to eat.. I don't gorge, I don't have to spew afterwards.. and that's all ok w/ me. Smokey eyes to the gym? Good God. if someone wants someone like that, they definitely wouldn't be my type anyway. I think I'll skip that reality show. ;)

Anonymous said...

Miss D,

You mean, on top, eh, um physically?

I feel the same when I walk through the men's locker room, but I am fit so nothing to worry about. I am still trying to get photos together. Don't hold your breath. Just think you are cute. And is that creepy to some of your friends? Should I keep my collective trap shut? I hope not.

Brad

Anonymous said...

Angel,

How well can you rock the skirt? Just figuring.

Stevie D.

Indiana said...

"I was always on top"
So basically some things in life never change?

We never had cheerleaders at school and I always can't help but think the experience to pine away for another group of untouchable women would have soooooo enriched the experience.

Miss Devylish said...

Brad: Oh I think I'll refrain from answering the first question. The rest, well.. put up or shut up.. as they say dear.. and I mean that in the nicest way possible.

Stevie: Trust me when I say very well darlin.

Indy: Sorry you missed out. But I quit cuz there stopped being anything to discern who made the teams. The cheeleading 'coach' was annoying and picked the worst possible girls so I only lasted 2 yrs before I couldn't stand it anymore.

scott said...

An NBA cheerleader...isn't that like a stepping stone to being a judge on American idol or something? lol

kario said...

Just remember, those dancers are really only getting paid about $10 per game and they still have to have other jobs.

As for you, I'm thinking a sporty little mid-life crisis car might be in order for your 35th...

Seriously, you are the youngest-hearted, most gorgeous almost-35-year-old auntie I know and you are my "Sonic dancer in the gym" envy fest if it makes you feel better.

Anonymous said...

Miss D.
Guess what? you are getting older!! But does that mean you are a "bad person"? Hell NO!!
Just be you and enjoy the wisdom you've garnered.
Would you rather be one of the young, vivacious, "body to kill" folks, or "YOU"?
How much more you know than then, and it's not worth trading for bigger "boobs", more lip gloss and botox, or other shit.
Forty years from now (I know that's a tramatic thought jump) you will be the same beautiful person we've come to know on the net that we know now.
Love ya'

Miss Devylish said...

scott: I think so.. or like America's Got Talent or something worse.

kario: You are the sweetest friend ever.. I WISH I could get a sporty little number of a car and trade in my junk on wheels.. one day sugar.. I'll take the girls for a spin in the limo! ;)

Mr. Guinness: Well I never said I was a bad person for being 35 or otherwise.. and I would like to have the body that kills AND still be me.. but it doesn't suck either. I mean.. I'm ok.. just standing next to lithe-y girls in their 20's is a little disconcerting. Not the end of the world tho. But thank you for the consolation anyway. That's sweet.

Léonie said...

I am in my twenties. And it doesn't mean I would enjoy being in the same gym as those girls, they sound all suspiciously toned.

I'm not sure it's an age thing exclusively. Anyway, I bet you'd still rock the skirt.

Maybe it was a ploy by the management to make people feel insecure so they come to the gym more... It's clever..

Miss Devylish said...

Léonie: It IS a clever idea.. hm.. maybe that was it! But still, whether you would feel comfy around those types of girls or that miss universe-y type person, none of them have a record deal like you.. and tho I definitely rock some days, I'm no rockstar. But I will happily be your groupie and we can collectively gloat in front of their suspiciously tiny asses. Deal?

Rigmor said...

So what if they are slim and skinny? For all we know they don't have brains.

I am my twenties and yet I also sometimes wish I was younger and more toned, and in better shape and.... and if they bug you, you just go and show'em what you're good for!

lady miss marquise said...

I loved the closing line.
Classic, sheer class!

I have nightmares of my cheerleading days. With our co-ordination, I was lucky I never had to be on top. That poor girl who broke her coccyx...

*shudders*


xx

Miss Devylish said...

Rigmor: Yes.. that is true. Or they will get hips.. one day, I'm sure of it.

LadyMiss: I don't even know what a coccyx is! Sounds painful!

scott said...

The reason I mentioned it was because of this phenom!! lol