Pages

Friday, August 11, 2006

All The World's A Stage


I know.. you're surprised to see me back here so soon, right? But I'm about a week behind on the happenings in the world I occupy and I have to catch up! It's hard having a life and a blog sometimes.. sheesh. Plus I'm practically salivating waiting for the So You Think You Can Dance finale results and only this girl seems to be able to relate with all my excitement. It's hard when no one else understands your passions people.

First tho, there's been a mini death in this close blogger family of ours for which we need to pay our respects. I was completely crushed and didn't see how I would possibly recover.. I had this whole idea that you, my enthusiastic readers, would send me comfort in the way of chocolate, wine, or an attractive masseur named Paolo if you felt I was beyond your normal abilities of consolation, which I was.. really.. and that's cuz our bewitching and brilliant Pixie had deleted her blog mentioning something about 'bad chi' and needing a fresh start. Her fans were clamoring to know if she'd gone for good or how soon it would be before her return.. and I wasn't sure what to tell them. But then came a ray of hope and oh.. what's this? Word from our pet Pixie herself that she's already created something new, something reborn even! So no need to fear! No need to mourn! And thank GOD cuz if anyone knows how little patience I have it's Pix. So send the girl some good chi, won't you, and check out her new page, Pixie Rising.

Back to the week at a glance.. and by glance I mean extremely explicit detail..

Last week, my friend Keith and I were trying to make plans for some hang out time together and he informed me that one of our friends from college, Kristin, would be in town and probably joining us when we headed out. Now, it's been at least 13 years since I've seen this girl.. and once I started to process that, I couldn't really believe that much time had passed from our college lives in the theatre that consisted of stressful auditions, teachers who could actually teach and teachers who showed preferential treatment for their favorite (and most attractive) students, dance classes, run crews, voice lessons, directing, mainstage shows and the occasional independent cabaret or improv show. We weren't super close, but we were friends and she was always someone I looked up to since she was an exceptionally gifted actor. And there we stood, sizing each other up in the present - and honestly, the girl looks exactly the same, not a single day older, and is just as smiley as I remember. Also, a very good hugger.

Is it weird to say you miss someone when they're standing right in front of you? While Kristin was here, it was like this favorite piece of me I'd lost that I hadn't even noticed was gone had finally been returned to me and I was so incredibly excited about it. She and Keith were two of my favorite actors, not to mention people in general, of those I knew in school and having them both out with me last week was like being right back in the midst of the theatre department - soaking up everything I could about theatre, taking in advice, desperately trying to understand what 'raising the stakes' meant, or my favorite part - feeling the adrenaline rise as the lights went down, and being called to places in front of a hushed and anticpating audience. Ahh.. there is nothing like that feeling.. ever.. and it's the main reason why I pursued acting.

So what's the most obvious thing three Southern Oregon State College (renamed Southern Oregon University - ooh la la!) theatre graduates would probably do together? If you said see a play, you're right.. if you said brain surgery, well.. remember, we're not real doctors. We just play them on T.V. So yes, our first venture out was a play called The Secret Ruths of Island House, which is a darling production about seven women named Ruth living in a retirement home and based on the stories they told in interviews done by the women who wrote and acted in it. It's also about to tour.. so check out where they're headed cuz I guarantee, by the time you walk out of there, you'll be calling your grandma to say you love her and ask her to tell you her stories from when she was younger.. I was that choked up.

The next night, Friday, after Kristin and I had some girl time over drinks and dessert crêpes while Keith was rehearsing his own upcoming show, we reconvened for a late-night cabaret on Capital Hill called Spin The Bottle. Keith and his friend, Mary, performed a very funny bit they'd been working on, there was a short film, some live music, some more good stuff, some bad, but during the entire show, this group of artists called Chrom-A-Matic (and I can't link to them cuz they don't have a site online! Can you believe that?!) whom Pixie and I witnessed before at the Clowns Without Borders show - paint whatever they feel like upon multiple canvases while the show is going on. Their pieces are infinitely original, striking, and positively fabulous. At the end of every show, they auction them off, each one going for more than the first, each piece fought over painful tooth and excruciating nail when it goes up in price and away from the last person who so thought they almost had a one-of-a-kind treasure.

This was exactly what happened to Kristin when she battled another audience member for the third piece, but felt she had to give up at his last bid of $60, tho it was obvious it really pained her to do so. But I'd set my eyes on the fourth and final piece that caused the entire audience to ooh and ahh as it was introduced. And dammit if I wasn't hellbent on having it. HELLBENT, I tell you! So much so, I said screw this increments of $5 shit and called my first bid of $50, which um.. may have been excessive in retrospect after I realized how quickly the price was increasing.. but oooh.. I wanted it.. needed it.. HAD TO HAVE IT!

The auctioneer went back and forth between me and another guy in the audience who was completely undeserving of this masterpiece - and by undeserving I mean he wasn't me.. cuz it was going to be MINE - and at one point, he even taunted my opponent asking him if he was going to let 'this red-headed harlot' get away with HIS painting!! HA! I showed them.. and I mulled over his last bid of $85 during what was a very agonizing few seconds, hoped this last one would break him and shouted out '$90!' to the pleasure of the audience who cheered and egged on my rival.. but he'd reached his limit and gave in! VICTORY WAS MINE! HARLOTS UNITE!

Isn't it rad?! Yes.. that's a rabbit.. and um.. a prarie dog.. with a crown.. and ok, maybe some diseased pears above.. but whatever! I love it! So there!

When the show was over, Kristin had mentioned she'd talked to the winning bidder of the piece she'd coveted and thought if she'd offered him what he'd paid for it, he might've considered relinquishing ownership.. but she didn't pursue it cuz she thought he really loved it. So we happened to walk out right behind them and cuz it was our last opportunity, I took it upon myself to ask him if he was really set on keeping it for himself as Kristin hadn't been able to stop talking about it for the last 30 minutes. That got his attention and he offered it to her, seeing how much she really loved it - with only one condition: that she donate the price paid for the painting to KEXP, an independent radio station here. She was thrilled and promised to follow thru the next day. We chatted all the way back home, patting ourselves on the back for all of our remarkable performances that night.

We brunched together the next morning and Kristin and I said our goodbyes afterwards since I wouldn't see her again soon. Before I left tho, Keith happened to mention he and our friend, Mary, were in need of a stage manager for their upcoming show, Judy Blume Owes Me and Curtains For Mr. Mortimer, so I said I'd happily help them out and voilà! I'm now pushing their show, which I'd be doing anyway, but since my talents are involved directly - and by talents I mean turning the lights up and down about three times and pushing 'play' on the cd player - I've a much more integral part in this than usual. Obviously. Duh. So please contact my assistant if you're looking to request my services, but give me as much advance notice as possible since I'm currently booked thru spring of 2007.

Well, I'm off to lunch - paparazzi be damned! If these are the sacrifices one has to make for life in the limelight.. then so be it.. someone has to do it! Ta ta!

18 comments:

anywherebutTX said...

I was soooo addicted to "So You Think You Can Dance"..... Oh, the things that I would do to Musa....

Indiana said...

ahh the rush of an Auction...the excitment, the tense stand-off of nochalant indifference. And the bidding begins..."who'll start me...do I hear..."

And the moral of the story is getting what you want is as easy as asking.

Anonymous said...

loveloveLOVE that picture! I want one!

Scott from Oregon said...

If I said you are cute, would that get me backstage passes?

scott said...

Make sure u take your paparazzi repellent. lol

Miss Devylish said...

Mandy: Musa is hot.. I was thinking Travis.. except holy crap, he's only 18. And as goofy as Benji is, still cute.. but only 22! Wtf?!

Indi: It was very exciting.. had my adrenaline going, that's for sure.

Treenster: Ooh.. I may have just the most fabulous idea for your birthday.. hee hee!

scott from Or: It miiiiightt.. but the lighting area is really not backstage per se.. and I'm sitting in a pretty sketchy seat. Remember this is community theatre not Seattle Rep honey.

scott: Oh do tell me what that is! They are quite annoying!

Anonymous said...

I love the picture...rare to see such prominent use of the Prairie Dog in art (genus Cynomys)...the keystone species of short grass prairies!!!

(Science nerd alert: picture someone hitting their inhalor and pushing up their glasses).

-cheers-
Corey

scott said...

It's called me!!! lol

Miss Devylish said...

Anonymous: Are there ever prairie dogs in art? Hm.. there should be more, don't you think? Tho at first, I thought it was a mongoose, but one of the artists corrected me so for sure it's a prairie dog.. still.. cute and odd at the same time.

scott: you're funny..

Anonymous said...

Miss Devylish,
I initially thought it was a meerkat myself...as for prairie dogs in art, apparently there are Prairie dogs in art.

http://www.prairiedog.info/Prairie_Dog_Art.htm

I prefer the non-sequitor modern art depiction in your piece .vs. a biologically accurate one.

-cheers-
corey

Anonymous said...

Angel dahling, I am dancing around excitedly!

WHAT IS IT????

Miss Devylish said...

anonymous: I thought the same thing, but was corrected by one of the artists. Actually, I said mongoose, which I'm sure was wrong.

Treena: I love you girl.. but you're a bit dense on this one.. if you can't guess, you'll just have to wait til I have another opportunity to make it happen and then mail it to you. Hee hee! I know you have as much patience as me so it's even better! ha!

Anonymous said...

i LOVE you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miss Devylish said...

anonymous: Guessing you're not anonymous 'corey'.. but um.. thanks..? I think.. Love you right back!

lady miss marquise said...

Hurrah - sounds very VERY exciting and glamorous.

Never followed SYTYCD - but watched SuperNova last night for the first time. I think I need to get out more.

Love anonymous too as well, nothing like random love all over the blog ;o)

x x

Anonymous said...

OMGOMG!!!!!!1!!!!1

Annngel. You don't have to do that, you know (but I will totally love you forever if you did, and I would always say it was my BEST!PRESENT!EVERRRRRR!)

Anonymous said...

While I am certainly smitten by your blog and our shared love of prairie dogs/mongooses/meerkats, I am not quite ready to shout my love for you in blog-space.

I guess I should just create an account to avoid being erroneously linked to such wanton displays of affection.


'anonomyous Corey'

Miss Devylish said...

LadyMiss: I don't know if you need to get out more than you already do girl. ;) And yes, random love is better than no love at all!

Treenster: Yes yes, I know.. no need to tell everyone.. ;)

anonymous 'corey': Please don't do anything you may feel uncomfortable doing. Our other anonymous sent things after that that didn't get published.. I felt the 'love' he/she shared was quite enough. It's ok.. I have plenty of love around me.