Pages

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Still Sending Prayers..


Being the one year anniversary of hurricane Katrina, I thought I'd forego any chat about my weekend trip cuz it seems to pale in light of the somber memorial going on in New Orleans and the surrounding areas today. I couldn't possibly understand the complete devastation those people have gone and are still going thru, but I'm trying my best to pay my respects from here and my heart still hurts for them. I'm unable to even attempt to read anything on the thousands of animal victims.. I would never stop crying.

For your own moment of silence, view some of the Katrina images yourself.

If you'd rather get mad about it, which is easy to do, read some of these stupid quotes, if you can get thru them. Numbers 11 and 25 are especially disturbing in my opinion.

Or stand behind what Deborah White has to say here and when you reach 'Do the math', please tell me if by that one little sentence you're not fully disgusted at where the government's priorities really lie cuz it's obviously not here at home where they should be.

A year later, the gulf's residents are still struggling to recover any sense of normalcy.. something I know I take for granted..

There are people out there every day trying to rebuild their homes and their lives. But it really has been left up to the individuals and it has been really slow going.

As we are now well into hurricane season, there is a tension and anxiety in the city now that is very uncharacteristic of "the city that care forgot".

The levees need to be strengthened even further and we just hope that they will not be breached again.

New Orleans is a very Catholic city and it seems our patron these days is Saint Jude (patron of hopeless causes).
And tho there continues to be bad and evil and awful and horrible in the world, if we didn't know what that was, we'd never recognize the good and graceful and kind and loving, which sometimes we forget to see, but of which this area could still use a lot more.

I hope those affected by hurricane Katrina will soon see more concrete results with assistance in rebuilding their cities and their lives. I'm sure I'm not the only one who sends continued prayers for just that their way.

9 comments:

kario said...

What a lovely tribute. You are such a sweetheart and I'm inspired by your thoughtfulness. All the same, I hope you had a terrific time in SF and I can't wait to hear all about it.

selling my soul said...

Wow it makes me want to move out to Canada. On the other hand I saw an article on some huricane survivors who where living in NY on the money the gvt was giving them. They lived in hotel rooms and spent their days drinking and smoking. (I guess if I went through that ordeal I'd do the same thing...) However it made me so angry because all it takes are a couple of schmucks to ruin the good names of every other survivor out there. (Sorry I'm ranting.) Any way lovely tribute, it's more then I did, (sorry to say.)

Indiana said...

There are some posts in which there really is nothing to add.

Jake said...

As I live in Houston, I could go on and on about this subject. I just hope people will take a break from focusing on what's left to be done, and every now and then remember all the help that's been (and continues to be)provided. The aftermath, bad as it has been, has seen some very touching stories. Remember that if you aren't actually there you are relying on the mdeia's representation, and bad news sells better than good news.

Buzzdome said...

And to add insult to injury, CNN is reporting that there are two hurricanes gaining force and may be heading their way again.

I'm usually not Mr. Political, but had our government worked quicker, these people wouldn't be worrying about a hurricane in the middle of continuing to rebuild. They would be secure in their well-built homes ready to ride it out.

Miss Devylish said...

kario: Thanks sweetie.. that was nice to hear!

t: You do plenty.. so there. And yeah, there's always the people on either side of any tragedy showing the negative side of human nature. Sucks.

indi: Thanks dear..

jake: Honey, we're just not going to agree on this. The way to move on IS to focus on what's left to be done.. what else can they do? When what's been given to Katrina in relief aid is seriously only what 16 hours is worth in dollars that's been spent on the war - something is terribly wrong w/ our priorities. And by ours, I mean Bush's.. He looked so jovial in the pics from today it was like he was at a party rather than a memorial. Good God, show a little humility already. It's hard to believe he can sleep at night. **Stepping off soapbox now**

Buzz: I think you're right.. goes to show when you promote the chair of a horse competition to oh, the head of FEMA.. maybe you should rethink that decision.

lady miss marquise said...

Agreeing with Indiana.
I am speechless about this.

Have you read these?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/katrina/story/0,,1860567,00.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/flash/0,,1860465,00.html

chindi said...

I think what Katrina did was show us that we are not really prepared for any major disasters and that FEMA/homeland security should be looking at our internal woes before looking for things afar.

Jake said...

Good tribute Ms.D, very thoughtful.